Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
" Above all I want to cry and only some systems can acheve this." I find this comment refreshing and honest. Being moved by the music is the whole reason to listen in the first place.
how does the Merlot compare to the MPS-5? The latter I know and compared side-by-side with the original DaVinci. Just wanted to get an idea.
best
I have heard the PBD many times. The GG is dead quiet in my system and is far better at DSD. No DSD has so far come close to the Lampi. My GG even has the R2R DSD256 and separate DSD512 engine. The latter is much better. Oh, I have the superclocks too.
Hi Wisnon,

Thanks, your opinion is appreciated. I noticed you post on many forums about your experiences with the Lampi DACs. Im glad you enjoy it. This is what high end is all about everyone has different expectation and listening taste.

The Golden Gate I have in my possession for 6 weeks was with a dual engine. Iv complained about the noise but if you research over the net I'm not the only one mentioning this a few members from different forums concluded the same. My unit had a slight humming to the chassis.

the one thing which is apparent on most Lampi dac is the build quality. It feels very much like a DIY Job when compare the build quality to many other well built DACs in the same league.
One may conclude after anylizing this thread that it is complete system synergy that is what is really important here.

In reality every dac that has been discussed has its merits and may just sing in one particular system. The Lampi is certainly one of the top dacs on the market, along with the Davinci, the DCS products, the EMM Labs Dacs, the Playback etc.

The issue then really boils down to a couple of things which may sway the listener to single in one factors such as:

1: Up-gradablility
2: Ease of serviceability
3: Construction quality/styling
4: Features
5: Overall value

This is one of the reasons we have traditionally offered dac from a number of great companies  as usually one size does not fit all.

The salient point is that you must listen to these products in your own system and you must also experiement with tuning your system to bring out the qualties that you are looking for in both the system and the dac.

We got one level of sound quality with the Aurender units and another level with the Baetis computer. 

So go out and just listen and then experiment with your source, one of t he nicest things about the Baetis or any true computer based solution is the freedom to listen to your dac with DSD files or PCM at whatever sampling rates you like. 

I will say that all of these dacs will sound amazing to you depending on finding the complimentary sampling rate and file type.

With Jriver and now Roon you have that freedom

Viva la difference and happy listening to all!

Troy
Audio Doctor