... abit confused: how does a power cord affect the presentation of sound...

Hello to all...

I was shifting around components in my system, trying to squeeze out better controlled bass, more definition within the soundstage, and better define the "voice/midrange" presentation...

I presently have a tube preamp (hardwired with a wall wart) into an HT Receiver; source is a Marantz SA-8001 CD Player

Swapped out a Yamaha HTR -5550 (hardwired) for a Parasound HCA-750A (which needs a power cord).

CD Player is powered with a PS Audio Statement SC power cord, so I went in my closet and pulled out another PS AUDIO Statement SC power cord, hooked it up and expect to give it at least 5 days continuous re-break-in before serious listening.

Took a minute to lookup reviews about this power cord - and I read some rather confusing reviews: some luved 'um, some liked 'um, but some thought them " ...slow... " (?), and giving a veiled presentation...

I'm gonna listen and decide myself - but I'm abit confused: how does a power cord affect the presentation of sound - I know that interconnects and speaker cables would/could/Do affect sound presentation - but how could a power cord?

Explanation/thoughts please...
insearchofprat

Showing 8 responses by decathlon1991

This conversation is like reading the Bible. One story but several interpretations of of it. If you already feel that it doesn’t help because someone told you it doesn’t and you didn’t experiment with YOUR OWN SYSTEM, there is no convincing or changing ones’ mind to do so. I’m not here to persuade anyone one way or another. It’s your choice. Remember, I said, “with your system, do with you want with it. What ever makes you happy about how you justify or spend your money. As long as you are happy with it, that’s all that matters because at the end of the day you paid for it. I definitely am enjoying mine.”😀 been listening for 6 hours and counting 😀😀

A lot of what is said is mostly true about not needing a 6k power cord with an exception of a couple of things. This is my take from competing in Car Audio Competition and from speaking to my best friend who works for Entergy as an engineer. The longer the cable run, the better the gauge needs to be. The only issue related to that is that our power lines every 50' or 100' utilize amplifiers to boost the power. This is why we have a major in-flux of power and AC noise. Hence why people utilize some type of power conditioners. Unfortunately when you use a longer standard cable with your amplifiers, you're asking the power supply in the amplifier to work harder and create more heat which is typically the enemy of sound quality. Shorter cable from the wall is better to reduce that. I'm my Roush Mustang, I use 2 gauge for my power cable to my fuse block  to 4 gauge to my amplifier and for the ground, I use two gauge but only a foot of cable for my McIntosh car audio sound system. In a perfect world a lot of what he said makes sense but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. I'd rather support the system in my home VS having to send them off to a repair shop due to power loss which hurts the power supply. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a good power cord to help protect your system. It all depends on the length you will need. In another words, how fare your amplifier is from the socket. Most standard power cords are 6 feet long.

I did find my Bose Wave system that is Bluetooth. That could solve the problem, 😂😂😂😂😂
Before you turn a blind eye and believe power cables are snake oil, do your research and test for yourself and don’t fall in the trap of what other folks opinions about upgrading power cords. The reality is that some do help and others may not. It is system dependent. My advice to folks who are eager to learn is to speak with an electric engineer with your company that provides you with power to your home. If turning a blind eye is your thing and you believe that the gauge size or how the wire is designed doesn’t make a difference, then you won’t have a problem using 18, 20, or even 24 gauge wiring. How your equipment is built and what you use with it. will determine how it functions. Please  see the video for example. If you have a tuner with a reception meter, you can try this yourself. I did.
https://youtu.be/DC0s6KqQz3g
Don’t just watch part of the video. Watch it from the beginning to the end. That’s like picking up a book, reading the introduction and coming to a conclusion. It has true value especially when it comes to shielding. I’m sure you wouldn’t use the first choice with your system or maybe you may. I’m not sure. However you enjoy your music is your choice.   
you you don’t have to buy the most expensive cable. Just buy what works for you or stick with the OEM. It’s your choice. I’ve owned several different cables and systems and I’m sure most have on this form. What I do that some may not do is test what works for me. At the end of the day what I enjoy or hear may not be what others do.There is a saying that goes, “If we are all the same, the world would be boring “.
The one above me is apparently subjective and never reads from the beginning to the end. If that individual did, they would have saw that I said I tried it for myself. Anyhow, debating someone who tries to force their opinion is a complete waste of time. This forum is suppose to be about experience and positivity. At the end of the day, it’s about being a sponge. Like I said, it’s your money, spend it how you want and don’t listen to negativity. At the end of the day, it’s your money you spending for your system, not there’s.