AAD 7001 vs Magico Mini MK II

Hi. Currently rebuilding my complete set-up. My Indras will have to go as my listening room moves to a smaller space now (4x5,5 meters).
I´ve heard great things about AAD 7001´s and Magico Mini´s - both beeing said to build the finst monitors available.
Any experiences with these two brands ?
rgds., Frank

I use Boulder 1021 + 1060 electronics.
frankpiet

Showing 8 responses by linkster

You may want to check out Focal's new Diablo Utopia from the new Utopia III line. The new generation beryllium tweeter is remarkable. This product should be a contender for the best stand mounted 2-way.
The Diablo Utopia has a new generation of drivers specifically engineered for the Utopia III, a new crossover, a different enclosure and stands. In fact, the only thing that that the Diablo and Micro Be's have in common is that they are both 2-ways. I have heard both and it is night and day difference. Rest assured however, that the Micro's offer a tremendous value compared to the Magico's. The Magico Mini II and Diablo would be an interesting comparison. I can say confidently that the upper octave response from the new beryllium driver can't be touched by the Scanspeak revelator of the Mini. That being said, I have very high regard for the Mini. I think that it is responsible for what seems a plethora of new 2-way cutting edge designs above $10K retail.
Franpiet, the Utopia line is now in its series III and offers vastly improved driver technology, cabinet construction and crossover design. The original Utopia line (circa 1995/6) featured a version of the inverted aluminum dome that Wilson uses now. The beryllium driver was introduced in 2002. I did not hear any of the hifi sounds that you noted on the Diablo. Really amazing depth. BTW, I lived with Eidolon Diamonds for 3+ years.
Well it sounds like the Diablo's are the winner of the group purely based on price considerations. Heard anything about Raidho's Ayra loudspeakers?
Frankpiet,
I will be most interested to hear your report on the Diablo Utopia. Again, the hi-fi sound that you heard in earlier generations (which I also heard) was not there at all. What I heard was amazing soundstage depth and upper octave transparency without any glare or stridency.
I believe that the Diablo's retail for $14,500 in the US and that would include stands. Frankpiet, it seems to me that EU manufactured products would provide you with the best value.
To that end perhaps you should consider Ayra speakers by Eben (Denmark). The C 1.0 has recieved some very favorable press although I have a hard time believing that a 4.5 inch bass driver will provide an adequate low end.
Frankpiet, what did you think of the Diablo's upper octave response (with the new generation beryllium tweeter)? Also, are you certain that the Diablo's were sufficiently broken in?