AAD 7001 vs Magico Mini MK II

Hi. Currently rebuilding my complete set-up. My Indras will have to go as my listening room moves to a smaller space now (4x5,5 meters).
I´ve heard great things about AAD 7001´s and Magico Mini´s - both beeing said to build the finst monitors available.
Any experiences with these two brands ?
rgds., Frank

I use Boulder 1021 + 1060 electronics.
frankpiet

Showing 14 responses by frankpiet

@ Linkster: I´ve listened to several Utopia series speakers and never found the attracting (to much hifi). But I´ve heard that the new series is much better, than the previous ones.

@ Bvdiman: the 1060 delivers 300 watts into 8 ohms and 700 watts into 4 ohms. I´m a bit afraid that the AAD´s as well as the Mini´s won´t match the richness and transparency of my current Indra´s which I like a lot (great speakers). Have you ever compared the Mini´s to the Indras ?

@ BVdiman:

I´ve had the chance to do an AB comparison Magico V 2 vs. my Indras. Well I found the Indras had more weight, resolution and sounstage depth than the V2´s (probably due to the ceramique transducers).
Unfortunately I still can´t comment on the Mini II. But this first comparison let me to re-think my plans to substitute the Indras with the Minis.
I was told by a friend to look at YG Acoustics Kipod or Rockport Ankaa (or Altair ?) speakers to better the Indras.
@ Roypan: you will agree, that the Indras have more weight and punch than the Mini II´s - so how would you call the lower region of a mini monitor like the Mini II´s compared to a full range speaker like the Indras. The mid band and the high frequencys of the Indras are quite pure as from the resonance character ceramique transducers are more linear (due to the stiffness and light weght of the material) than the ring radiator used in the Mini´s. To our ears "resolution" or lets call it detail retrieval was better with the Indras. But probably the Mini II´s are a lot different than the V 2´s or the synergy of Avalon and Boulder is much better than the synergy of Magico and Boulder ?

@ Bvdiman: I was told that the V 2´s had about 600-700 hours on them (in use for several month). I was a bit suprised as the price tag of the V 2´s is quite high - therefore I had expected a "better" performance - although performing on a very high level.

@ Mapman: I´ve heard a lot of good things about the AAd´s but I´m not a big fan of ribbon tweeters as sweetspot is quite narrow and the lack a bit "depth".

I will try to audition the YG Anat II Reference main module as it goes down quite low and is said to be an extraordinary speaker as well and a contendr for the finest monitors available.
@ linkster: please read my comment carefully. I stated that I dindn´t like the Utopia series II models. I haven´t heard the series III line.

@ Roypan: my fault. V 3 (three way, four driver) not V 2 (two way (three driver). Retail for the Magico carried at my home was in the 35-40K range.

The YG is - according to their web-site, going down to 20hz. I would suggest thats pretty low ?

The Indras go down to 27hz. - so fairly low as well. But as I already stated. The synergy between Boulder and Avalon seems to be a lot better than the synergy of the Magico and the Boulder.
Bvdiman: I´m living in Germany. Stuff over here is much more expensive. I´ve just converted the Euro in US $ prices. The V 3 in Germany is around 30k Euros.
Roypan: as we both know: there is no "best speaker on earth" although I know from various manufacturer homepages they claim :) but if so I would have other makes on my mind (German Physics e.g.).
The guy who borrowed the V 3 drives them with FM Acoustics and found them sounding much better with FM Acoustics gear than with my Boulders but he as well found the Boulder Avalon combo better than the Boulder V 3 combo.
I use top-of the line Shunyata cabelling - probably V 3 don´t like that...?
Referring to the manufacturers specs you are right: Avalon goes deeper - and to our ears did.
Regarding weight and dynamics: having owned Opus Ceramique a while ago and heard the Eidolons several times: the Indras are a total different animal.
Bvdiman: I have the feeling that at louder listening levels the bass is to much for my room - that´s why I mainly look for smaller alternatives.
Heard the Avalon mixing monito a while ago and was quite impresed but didn´t like the black only pro finish.

Will give the Focal Diabolos a listen on monday.
@ all: heard the Diabolo Utopias today - unfortunately not in my own set up. But paired with Pass INT-150 and Wadia 581 SE was quite impressive. A huge step up from previous Focals.
Will take them at home to compare them with my Avalons end of this week.
Don´t know the retail price in USA. In Germany its - including stands close to € 10.000,00
Having had the Diabolos around now for a few hours at home I must say that this speaker is a remarkable product. Nevertheless the Indras do exceed the Diabolos in several to me important areas (transparency, soundstageing, imaging, micro and macro dynamics) although beeing in some aereas (coherency, speed) scaringly close in performance to the Indras. As the Indras have to move due to the bloomy bass in my new smaller listening room I will receive later today a pair of Kharma Mini Exquisites which I can buy as a used pair from an audiophile who moves up the Kharma line. Keep you posted.
Linkster: I still have the Diabolos for home audition. Just started listening to the Kharmas and I must say: the by far most detailed and coherent speaker I´ve ever listend to. Exceptionel well imagers a huge and deep soundstage and a remarkably hefty baseline for such a small speaker. If I would give the Mini Exquisites a 100% I would say the Indras are at 90% and the Diabolos at 85%. I´ll have the chance to listen to the Mini II´s in two to three weeks time and then I´ll decide which way to go (either the Mini Exquisites or the Mini II´s or the new V 2 - if released by that time). By the way: I´ve swapped the Shunyatas for Kubala Sosna Emotions and find the a better match with Boulder and Avalon as well as with the Kharmas.
Husk01: I´m trying to downsize as I have aproblem with bloomy bass in my smaller listening room.

Linkster: you are right. price-performance wise the Diabolos are a clear 10. Sonic wise they are by far not in the league of the Mini Exquisites that I will keep if the Magicos will fail.
Hikejohn. I would assume that the Rockports will produce to much bass in my smaller listening room.
Tired of looking around I now settled with a quite unusual appoach: I´ve sold the 1060 and bought a pair of audiostatic DCA fully active electrostatic speakers. Speed, transparency and resolution are top notch and easy outperform what I´m used to with the Indras and what I´ve heard so far from the Focals or Kharmas.
Bass goes down fairly low (25hz.)