AAD 7001 vs Magico Mini MK II

Hi. Currently rebuilding my complete set-up. My Indras will have to go as my listening room moves to a smaller space now (4x5,5 meters).
I´ve heard great things about AAD 7001´s and Magico Mini´s - both beeing said to build the finst monitors available.
Any experiences with these two brands ?
rgds., Frank

I use Boulder 1021 + 1060 electronics.
frankpiet

Showing 7 responses by bvdiman

During last 10yrs, my speakers evolved from Pro-ac Response 4 to ML Prodigy to MG20.1, then two years ago the SF Stradivari. Earlier this year, after having audition a number of some highly touted contenders within my allocated upgrade budget of 40-60k, I ended up with the MiniII.

Although price wise this may seem a downgrade, but sound wise (in my set-up) there's simply no contest. IMO the MiniII is much more accurate, neutral, fast, transparent, coherent and just as equally musical compared to the more costly Strads.

I also think they are almost a perfect fit for your room (1-2m longer would be more ideal), and given enough quality wattages from the Boulder, they should synergize pretty well. What's 1060's ratings to 8-4ohm btw.? Do home audition one, I have a hunch that you will most likely keep them.
Wow that's one spectacular spec of Boulder, more than doubling it's rated power to 4ohms? 700watts should be plentiful then! As for transparency and richness/density of tone colour/timbre I would think the MiniII to be quite vastly superior to Avalon--if Eidelon Diamond could serve any reference here (have not heard the Indra though, unless of course they are also a notch up or two above their predecessor in this regard).

Btw the dealer whom I bought the Magico from also happens to carry Avalons and Sonus lines, but unfortunately during my last visit, earlier this year, only the Eidelon and their smaller one down--I can't recall name, were in stock for comparisons. During which audition of MiniII and Eidelon, electronics used were VACs and Soulutions.

Yes, I've heard this dealer friend too raved about the Indra a lot recently (knowing him for more than 10yrs, I have no doubt of his discerning ears and taste in equipments), claiming they are over and above previous Avalons offerings from the Eidelon and down. However, at home, in his personal set-up, he is loving the V3, I wonder..
Frankpiet,
Hope what you had for comparison was a fully broken-in pair of V2. As those few points you mentioned, plus added midrange dimensionality (more densely fleshed out), and also top and bottom extensions were only fully realized at or after the 300-500hr mark with the MiniII. Their sound kept evolving, sometime for the better and sometime for the worse, stabilizing only north of 300hrs. But it is just my assumption here that V2, being of same breed, should require somewhat similar process before fair assessment can be made to their sound.

Beside MiniII, I would also add the new TAD Compact Reference One Monitor to your must audition list. However, we can just do so much as to line-up the "better" mini monitors of today, finally, it is the synergizing and personal taste that really matters, there is no absolute best for everyone.. Anyway good luck in your pursuit, and do keep us inform of the journey.
Btw.of curiosity, if you like the sound of Indra so much why bother changing? Your room is not that small after all, try dialing them in with some aid of tuning devices--bass traps etc. and just enjoy.. Or are they over-driving the room much too much now?
I think he is referring to V2 (est.retail $18k) the latest offerings from Magico, little brother of V3, releasing alongside their M5. What escapes me though that it was already available in the market for a few months now as Frankpiet stated--the period of breaking them in. Well, I have not been in contact with my dealer friend for a couple of months now, will check..
Frankpiet: Retail for the Magico carried at my home was in the 35-40K range.

< Gosh..Where you at?? V3 is listed at 25k, and you should be able to get a pair for around 22-24k--delivered, unboxed, set-up etc3!
Frankpiet,
Well understood, room/speaker synergy--that is also one reason I ended up with the MiniII--'very well executed and controlled everything' for my room size. Considered the newer M6 (with carbon drivers) initially, but experience told me that sometimes less is more. When you have uncontrolled bass bouncing all over the place it just skewed everything else good doesn't it, plus a bad headache too?! Maybe later after I have my room professionally treated, I will certainly re-visit the possibilities. Loved those M6s!