A Tough Question

Was watching "Fight Club" the other night and in it Brad Pitt's character opines that you don't own your possessions, but your possessions own you. As applied to our hobby the question becomes, do you own your system, or does your system own you?

There have been times in my audiophile progression that my system has definitely had me be the short hairs, but as of late I've felt like I'm the one in control, at least most of the time. Basically, when I'm enjoying music, I'm on top. When I'm concentrating on the sound of the system, then the system has the upper hand. Unfortunately, my system generally sound quite good, but it's far from perfect and there's always something I know I could do to improve it's overall performance. As a result, I'm never sure where I stand. Do you know where you stand?
128x128onhwy61
Ditto that Al, I am going to watch "unforgiven" again as my girlfriend hasnt seen it.

I cant even remember that line from Brad P., I must admit that I dont remember much about that movie at all, except that I have zero interest in seeing it again.

Audiobug, If any appreciable amount of a Hamburger stayed in my colon for 7 years, I oughta have a 30 pound ball in there somewhere, 'cause I have consumed about a million of em. Thank goodness you dont retain anything from Ramen soup or I would have weighed 450 pounds by the time I graduated college.
I don't even think his mother would claim that Brad Pitt is in Mr. Eastwood's league, but Brad is a surprisingly likeable actor. I particularly like his work in "True Romance" and "Snatch". "The Unforgiven" is a great film. I like how in his later years Mr. Eastwood populates his films with first rate actors (Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman, Meryl Streep, Ed Harris, Richard Harris, Angelica Huston, etc.). It shows a real confidence in his own abilities.
Fight Club= Best movie EVER.

If you you don't like Fight Club you either haven't watched it close enough to understand it or you are scared to free your mind of all your flaming worldly crap.

Watch it a few times you will understand it and realize what it can do for your life. Why try to be perfect?

Why polish the brass on the Titanic? It's all going down anyway.

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, we are come from the same compost heap.

Our fathers are models for god, if our fathers bailed what does that tell you about god?

As much as it sucks, you can't deny these facts. And thats why...

Fight Club is my Bible
Eulogytool,

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, we are come from the same compost heap" Maybe, from a scientific point of view I suppose so. It is also apparent that this dung ball of a movie didnt roll far from that heap either. I prefer to look at it this way, it is a marvel that such complex life and emotion can rise from the lowly basal components. Undeniably a system which is greater than the sum of its parts.

"Watch it a few times you will understand it and realize what it can do for your life." Yes, it slices, it dices, and julienne’s, blah, blah. With very few exceptions (Mulholland Falls) do I need to watch a movie more than once "to understand it," and I am thankful for that.

"Our fathers are models for god, if our fathers bailed what does that tell you about god?" That whoever said our Fathers were models for God was wrong. Of course everything depends on what context "bailed" and “models” are used, and to what depth the “bailing” and “modeling” occurred. But I digress, even shallow has some depth by definition. So this will be a question of semantics. In my opinion it’s the cheesy pop-culture wording of this statement that ruins it. Not to mention that, chronologically speaking, it is completely perverse.

Director David Fincher has made some most excellent movies, “Seven,” also with Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, and Kevan Spacey and “The Game” with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn, are two that come to mind.

Just my opinion.
What a great debate this thread was for me. Looking back over the replies, I just wanted to say you guys truely do make this site what it is. Very intelligent and thought provoking with plenty of humor too. It is nice to get away from the humdrum of daily life. Thanks so much. I hope you all have a happy and safe holiday season.