A Tough Question

Was watching "Fight Club" the other night and in it Brad Pitt's character opines that you don't own your possessions, but your possessions own you. As applied to our hobby the question becomes, do you own your system, or does your system own you?

There have been times in my audiophile progression that my system has definitely had me be the short hairs, but as of late I've felt like I'm the one in control, at least most of the time. Basically, when I'm enjoying music, I'm on top. When I'm concentrating on the sound of the system, then the system has the upper hand. Unfortunately, my system generally sound quite good, but it's far from perfect and there's always something I know I could do to improve it's overall performance. As a result, I'm never sure where I stand. Do you know where you stand?
128x128onhwy61
I think some of us misunderstand the philosopher (Brad Pitt). That's a joke.

The issue is when we buy a 'thing' we now have the responsibilty to use it and care for it. When one buys a '73 Corvette they have to maintain it, they have to wash and polish it, they have to have a safe and clean environment in which to keep it. Time and money are involved in all of these things.

When a person buys a house their entire lifestyle changes. The lawn needs to be cut (requires the purchase of a mower) , the shrubs need trimming, the flowers need to be watered. It needs to be washed and cleaned inside and out. The snow needs to be shoveled. The bathroom needs to be remodeled, the fixtures need updating, the kitchen needs appliances. Don't even get me started about the listening room! All of these issues require lots of time and money.

When an audiophile (not a regular person, but an audiophile) buys a stereo system it is only the beginning. Everything will ultimately need to be replaced, the cable needs to be upgraded. The equipment rack is less than ideal. There is no perfect product so the carousel ride never ends. Then there is the constant need to add new and/or better software. All of these things require time and money.

The person who does not own the '73 Corvette, the house, or the stereo does not have to worry about all these issues. They can use their free time for other things that those previously mentioned might never have the time for considering. They of course will have other things that enslave them. So who owns who? Do you own your house or does it own you? Everything we have controls what we do with our time and money

I hate to admit it, but Brad Pitt is right.
Nrchy I firmly disagree. While I do agree complex sytems require both time and money to maintain, if you so desire. Its my TIME and my MONEY, and I can just as easily let the system fall into disorder, sell, or anything else I wish.

Clearly expending the two commodities, time and money, doesnt imply ownership. If so when I take the time to walk into Burger King and buy a hamburger, that hamburger now owns me. Athough I must admit I do feel a bit of weakness when confronted with a Wendy's Double Cheesburger. Anywho, where was I.

You cannot save time. A minute passes whether you are sitting on your bum or mowing the lawn. Time has no value in duration alone, it is what is accomplished during it that gives it value. It is clearly your time to give to the stereo, it neither demands or commands time. You can sum it up by saying that the time was valueless until you used it to diddle with your stereo. A purely retroactive value.

You cannot retain money. Sure you can put it in your pocket or in a bank. But its true value is only realized when spending it. Without the needs of others money is not worth the paper its printed on. Cliche but true. Money retained is in hopes that someone else will need or want something and you can transfer its implied value for their needs. So money in your pocket doesnt equal new ICs, some guy somewhere with some wire and connectors needs to feed his family, and your money is a convenient conveyance from wire and connectors to bread and milk. Either way, its departure doesnt imply ownership.

Well, thats my thoughts anyway. Let the "Fight Club" debate continue. At the very least, I am confident I own the Power cords.
Nrchy:
Well said.

Distortion:
If a person buys a Corvette I don’t think you will find them installing bicycle wheels on the car; that would ruin the whole point of the design. Most audiophiles are looking for a technology that will get them closer to the sound of real music. When an additional expense is involved they must balance the cost of the improvement in relationship to the cost of the new product [technology]. If cost was the only issue than any plastic “boom box” would do.
At last, someone understands. Thank you Nrchy. Based upon the type of questions usually asked on this forum (i.e., my soundstage has collapsed, which PC works best with..., what's my next step? etc.) I have to believe that the typical audiophile is owned by their system. I'm not sure anything is wrong with that, but you should at least have the awareness to admit to it.

In my ideal life I would pare everything down to James Spader's mythical "one key" existence as he explained in "Sex, Lies & Videotape". But even with one key, I'd still have a nice stereo and music collection.
Corona, Only if they wanted to, regardless of ruined designs. I suggest you try reading my post again. To better understand, since my point may not have been saliant. Maybe you will see that pointing out "cost is an issue" is superfluos at best.

You guys can be "owned" by stereo's, cars, wives, or whatever. Not I.

I chose this hobby, unless someone can prove it chose me. I like it. Every single resource "it" consumes is by my hand alone, and "it" can end by my hand as well.