A Thought Exercise: Consolidating Analog To One Table and Two Cartridges

So this is a thought exercise only at this time. The idea has been bouncing around in the back of my head for a couple of weeks, and have discussed it with a friend but really can't come to a defninitve choice. 

By nature, my stereo system is a product of consolidation. I buy and try, sometimes get a few pieces here, eventually sell and buy the next level up until I am satisfied. In regards to my current system this has led me to a pair of Classe Omega amplifiers and a Trinnov Audio Amethyst pre-amplifier. These are long term keepers for me.

Speakers may get an upgrade in the future or not. Pair of JBL 4365 with a pair of Velodyne HGS12 subwoofers just augmenting the bottom end a little. Room is a typical living room of 16'x20'x8' that the onboard DSP of the Trinnov and some room treatments helps smooth out. 

The first plan is to keep two cartridges, Ortofon Verismo and Transfiguration Audio Proteus. That way I have one to listen to when the other is out for service. Keep a Schroder CB 1L tone arm. Keep a BMC MCI Signature ULN phono stage. Theoretically everything else goes to make a pile of money. 

What goes? Ideally both tables. the SOTA cannot be used with this arm. But as an alternate plan I could keep the SOTA Cosmos Eclipse and put a higher quality arm on it and have it be the only table. 

Scenerio #1 What Goes

SOTA Cosmos Eclipse

Scheu Audio Las Laufwerk No 2 

SME V (older generation)

Dynavector DV 505

Esoteric E-03 phono stage

Ortofon MC 2000 all OEM 

Ortofon MC2000 with boron cantilever

Ortofon MC5000

Ortofon MC3000 II

Ortofon T2000

Ortofon T5000

In theory i could raise between $16 and $18K. Much depends on selling prices of the tables. 

What could I buy? This catches the eye, although how I would get it here would be a logistics problem. 

TW Acustic Raven Black Night (REDUCED) For Sale | Audiogon

I do believe I can get the Schroder arm on it. 

Option #2 

Would be keeping the SOTA Cosmos Eclipse and obtaining a better tonearm for it. Keeping the Verismo and the Proteus as planned. If the other equipment was sold then it could go to a speaker fund. Perhaps sell the JBL and make a speaker upgrade. 

The real question becomes this I guess. The next tier of turntable, does it really have meaningful improvements to offer? I think I can climb one last tier of the ladder and then I max out. But is it worth it to go through the effort? When I listen to the gear I have, the Verismo and the BMC phono stage really do lead the pack. I loved the MC2000 before this combo came around and I optimized it. I find different "sound" interesting to hear, but for me I am content to listen to my best and have limited interest in my lower tier gear. So I could just envision myself listening to these two cartridges. I don't rotate gear, or speakers, and don't have multiple systems. 

Any thoughts? Like I said at the moment this is a thought exercise, not sure if I would want to go down this path or not. I do enjoy the MC2000s and they are difficult to obtain, so that gives me pause. But if an improvement is within reach, that is always my goal. 

neonknight

@kingsleuy

I had one of those with a MA505 arm in the early 2000s. It was an underwhelming table, had no love for it. Wish I had it back though...so I could sell it again for more money.

I have several tone arms and cartridges for my Thorens TD147.  I regularly swap them out depending on the music or other factors.  Several MM cartridges and an MC cartridges get rotated around regularly 

@neonknight 

Might I suggest an Option 3:  You give ME one of the turntables and then your choices aren't as vast.  Just a thought 😉.  Your name strangely mirrors the dilemma put forth in your post and the opening lyrics to the Dio led Black Sabbath classic (if you know, you know) --

"Oh no, here it comes again
Can't remember when we came so close to love before
Hold on, good things never last
Nothing's in the past, it always seems to come again
Again and again, again and again, and again"

Yes.  That DQX 1000 was a performance disappointment for the money.  But it did accommodate multiple arms. Which I wanted.

I ended up Making it Myself.  Turned out an okay performer for the time but did have three arms.

@allenf1963  I love me some Dio era Sabbath. Heaven and Hell is one of my all time favorite songs. Very underappreciated piece that one is. Except by us old geezer(yeah I said it) metal heads that remember those times.