A scary thought from Ellery911

I've thought about this for a long time and being a newbie to high end I just had to ask.

In a world where you can get fake Luis Vuitton bags, fake high $ watches (Rolex, Patek Phillipe etc), and knock-offs of just about any high $ product, have there been any instances of fake high end stereo equipment and if so, how does one avoid being the unlucky buyer?
ellery911
Ohh yeah, Faccuphase and Fryston!!!

Seriously though, I have read about grey market units. Jolida and Electrocompaniet come to mind. I would bet that there are dozens.
A few years ago there were fake NBS cables that I believe were coming from Asia. The merchant claimed to be an authorized NBS dealer, but when I spoke to the owner at NBS (I forgot his name), he never heard of the merchant.
A few years ago there were fake NBS cables that I believe were coming from Asia. The merchant claimed to be an authorized NBS dealer, but when I spoke to the owner at NBS (I forgot his name), he never heard of the merchant. I would think in the field of audiophile components that cables would be the easiest to fake.
How about high dollars items that sound like crap? I'm more worried about that than I about knock-offs.
I received a fake pair of Audio Magic Excalliber speaker cables with a pair of speakers I had purchased here at AG. I didn't know any better. I had no experience with Audio Magic. I sold them here later and that is when I found out they were fake. The buyer wasted no time on informing me they were fake and that he would see me in court. Kind of embaressing. I quickly refunded his money. The cables still sit with my junk collection. Anyone interested in a pair of good speaker cables?
Just the idea of Ellery911 having a thought is a little scary!!!

I'm not worried about fake gear since most audiophiles are quite anal about what they buy and sell. They know more details about the equipment than the people who build the stuff. It's hard to fool people who are knowledgable about a particular product. You never see fake Mercedes, oh wait, yes you do, they're called Lexus.
LOL Anarchy...If I posted *all my crazy thoughts...Agon would need a spam filter just for me...LOL
Distortion,

Hey, MS picked up an even dozen today. Rubens and him will be getting a few extra million in their stocking this christmas for winning the contructors championship. MS has 12 wins in a season; DC has 13 in his career!
Prpixel, yeah and Ferrari locked up the Manufacturer Championship....Sweet!!!

Sorry Ellery, I didnt mean to spam your thread. I was just so excited.
You never see fake Mercedes, oh wait, yes you do, they're called Lexus.

How true! Good one Nrchy.
You never see fake Mercedes, oh wait, yes you do

http://www.bobsclassics.com/sold.htm#Mercedes

No sweat Distortion...that's actually pretty sweet. I just hope it wasn't a fake Ferrari...lol.
A few years ago, Jadis was complaining that a lot of Jadis knockoffs were being sold in the Far East. They issued some statements telling audiophiles to stay away from Jadis monoblocks being sold out of Hong Kong for very low prices.

Personally, this should scare the heck out of a lot of us.
Post removed 
Yeah, but I think they come out of the orient and have a Jadis sound system.
Regarding fake turntables, check out this manufacturer's response. The proprietor's humor/pride is hilarious.

Verdier La Platine

http://www.jcverdier.com/platineV/platineV.html

Scroll down 2 pages.