A sad tale of tube problems...

Before I tried tubes, I was warned that they are a pain, can be expensive, can fail, will develop hum issues, etc. Well, I had no idea how bad it was going to be. I have tried repeatedly over the past couple of years to get some tubes into my system, and everything has failed. If only they didn't sound so good I would just commit to solid state. Here's my tale of woe...

1. As my welcome back to the audiophile world, I bought a hybrid integrated - got a terrible buzz through the right channel. When I turned the balance to the left, the buzz through the right channel got louder. Never got it solved and went to a SS integrated.

2. Got into vinyl and thought a tubed phono amp would be great. The first one lasted 5 minutes and the right channel dropped out completely. Replaced the tubes, still no luck. They sent me a new one, but I was getting significant distortion. Turns out even the lowest gain setting was too high for my integrated amp. Went to a SS phono amp.

3. Tried a single ended tube integrated. Had a hum problem that was audible from 30+ feet away. Shipped it back for repairs. Came back to me and broke down within the week. They sent me a new one - hum was still there although not quite as bad as the first unit. Went back to my SS integrated.

4. Tried another hybrid integrated. Lasted a week before a loud pop caused horrible distortion. Had to send it in for service. Went back to my SS integrated.

5. Bought a SS power amp (worked great) and used my integrated's preout. Then decided to try a tube preamp. Got significant bleed through on one channel, and when the volume was off I was still getting sound through the left channel. Went back to using my integrated as a preamp.

6. Gave one more shot at a tubed preamp. There was some tube rush through the right channel, so I bought upgraded tubes. Put them in and got a terrible hum through the other channel that I couldn't get rid of.

Counting the replacement components, that's 8 tubed products - and not one has worked. I guess I'm doomed to solid state...:(

Just had to vent...
Scott

p.s. I have tried with and without power conditioners and an Emotiva power strip to stop DC on the line. Didn't make a difference.
smrex13

Showing 2 responses by zd542

"For the most part the components were very well respected brands - some new, some used. In any event, I just needed to vent a bit. To me, tubes sound so much better than SS that I will keep chasing the dream :)"

There's no reason why you can't have your dream, instead of chasing it. You just need to alter your approach. If you choose to share some more detailed info, I'm sure we can you make better choices.
Your story is unfortunate, but not at all surprising. There's a big difference between buying tubes, for the sake of buying tubes, and buying the right component for your system.

"Counting the replacement components, that's 8 tubed products - and not one has worked."

That's probably not true. Some of it looks like poor matching.

"They sent me a new one, but I was getting significant distortion. Turns out even the lowest gain setting was too high for my integrated amp. Went to a SS phono amp."

Tubes had nothing to do with that problem, or your integrated amp. It was a mismatch between your phono preamp and your cartridge. Blame that one on your dealer, and find a new one. A mistake that simple is inexcusable.

" Tried a single ended tube integrated. Had a hum problem that was audible from 30+ feet away. Shipped it back for repairs. Came back to me and broke down within the week. They sent me a new one - hum was still there although not quite as bad as the first unit. Went back to my SS integrated."

Probably nothing wrong with it. An SET shouldn't have been your first tube amp. You need to match your source and speakers very carefully. If not, its easy to get a hum.

As for the rest of it, there's no way to tell what happened without more info. Most likely the products were either low quality or mismatched.