A question I suspect reveals a lot of ignorance...

Does the volume at which I listen affect the rate at which my tubes "age"? I'm thinking more volume requires more voltage and higher output voltage levels represent "wear" on the power tubes. Thanks in advance for your tolerance.
128x128ghosthouse

Showing 1 response by dpac996

Could anyone comment on the sound effects you hear as your power tube amp warms up?

Also, what may happen if you start playing music loud with a tube power amp that has only been on for about 5 minutes (you know the impatient start to a listening session)

I recently got an ARC Vt100mkii and personally I have not noticed a difference after its been on for about 45 minutes. Up to that point, the sound seems compressed and the bass is not as developed (as it can be). But, this result still is not objectionable in any way, its just not optimal...

I think it is the low voltage filament that dictates the life time of a given tube. The filaments don't like the turn on stress: thermal/mechanical.

It would be nice if, like most tube guitar amps I have come across, high end home audio amps would have seperate switches for the filament (standby) and b+/plate (operate)

I wonder how much longer a tube in the same circuit would last if it was brought up to operating temp before the high voltage was applied. maybe none??

Great thread