A philosophical question.

I want to pose a sort of philosophical question about our listening to music.
The obvious answer to the question is that we should listen to whatever we damn please. But the query is: should we be happy listening to our favorite composers and compositions, or should we feel guilty about not exploring new horizons and music we’re prone to hate?  For me, the obvious bitter pills are such as Liszt, Neilson and Bruckner, not to mention the Second Viennese school.  We run the risk of close-mindedness by ignoring that which we don’t know and missing out on what what glories might be out there.  On the other hand, we only have so much time, and there is a universe of more accessible music available.
I just wonder if this dilemma has crossed anyone else's mind.
128x128rvpiano
What is NEW today becomes OLD tomorrow.

Give new things a chance...you might like something out there.

Cheers!
*S*  Listen to whatever rocks your cradle....you shouldn't need to qualify nor seek approval, explain or have doubts over it's credibility....

*L* The 'weight' of your collection need not match that of your amps or your speakers....Mahler to Monkees, Beatles to Bach, Zappa to...

To paraphrase C. Lauper:

Audiophiles should just want to have fun.

Go have some. ;)
Never thought about it. I listen to music for me, not anyone else or their sensibilities. It's something I do because I wish to, so I listen to what I want when the whim strikes. Never thought about it further than that. Dear God, what a great way to screw it up-overthinking it. I think I'll  go play...something.
Sometimes music is fun....
Sometimes music is moving...
Sometimes music is ecstasy...

What music to play is one particular entry-point into sole philosophical question of humanity. Serenity is one's given equipoise between opposite, yet complementary, extremes: yin and yang. Everything is both true and false at once. "Life is too short for hearing anything but Bach." "Life is too short for not hearing everything." Which is right or wrong? Both are right and wrong at once. Between these extremes lies the range of personal choice, which can never be right or wrong to anyone but oneself.