A Paypal Offer - Is This Secure?

Hi All,

I am selling a CAT amplifier and have a paypal offer from a buyer who has very little feedback (only one transaction) and does not speak english well and communicates only small bits of information at a time. I am nervous about this. I spoke with paypal and they told me that as long as:

1) I am selling something of substance
2) I ship to the paypal address, no other address
3) I can document the shipping of the product

I am protected as a seller. If this is true, I should be able to accept his offer and make sure that I am shipping to the address listed in paypal, and I should be fine shipping pilot air insured (with tracking and all, including photos of packing, etc). What do you guys think? Is this too much of a risk, or not really a risk at all?
peter_s

Showing 7 responses by polk432

Since the buyer has little feedback, don't ship until the paypal funds post to your bank account. It takes about 3-4 business days. Ship to a confirmed paypal address, with the package to be signed for. When the funds post to your account, take the money out until you have cofirmation that the item shipped was received. Note.. It's your gamble if you choose to ship overseas due to customs and buyers that want you to help them cheat on taxes. Try to sell major items lower 48 states only. Best of luck.
Muzikat, the buyer simply wanted their money back. Probably used his CC attached to paypal. Paypal has to side with the buyer since the buyers CC Co. makes the final decision. You did the right thing selling a good item and got screwed. Paypal puts a negative in your account so that they can turn it over to a collection agency to get back the money that they refunded the customer. One way to get around selling an item that works is to word it correctly in the heading. Works fine but selling as is. No returns. Sorry you had bad luck trying to sell a good item. I don't beleive in karma because it just can't happen fast or repeatedly enough to those who take advantage of others. Keep on keepin on.
Photograph everything. Ship the item to be signed for by the buyer only. Ship to the verified paypal address only. Send the buyer the tracking #'s and fully insure the item. Only ship after the funds have posted into your bank account, then withdraw the funds. Always use selling as is in your heading. If for some reason the buyer ships the item back, refuse to sign for it then go to the local post office to open it in front of witnesses, take pics too, to make sure nothing was stripped off of the unit. Best of luck.
You must keep a small seperate account for paypal and never leave any money in it. Ship the item after the funds post to your account. You may lose a case with paypal but they can't take money out of an account that has nothing in it. Just be careful. I'd never pay for something with a check or money order unless it was sent C.O.D. If the seller doesn't ship, you may lose out. I have a good amount of transactions on ebay but I'll be the first to say that the buyers have way too much power when it comes to just changing their minds about a purchase. There needs to be an all sales are final (except D.O.A.) option and if it is not checked by the buyer, they are blocked from bidding or buying. In other words, if the unit works, no buyers remorse or excuses for finding an item that is being offered for less a few days later.
I understand the negative, but if there's nothing in it the negative only means that paypal will send it to collections if not paid during the alloted time. The bad part is that if you do not pay the collections agency you can ruin your credit. If you have bad credit to start with then the Turnip has no blood for paypal. I don't use credit very often but I have credit better than 95% of the country and I plan on keeping it that way. Muzikat did the right thing and honestly sold a good item and got burned due to buyers remorse. I had a buyer strip a PC manual and demagnetizer off of a perfectly good working Cassette player that he claimed was not good. I had a Sheriff come over to my house to make out a report and I still had to repay him due to his credit card company that makes the final decision. Next time I have a return on an item I know was good when I shipped it, I'll have it returned to the post office and open it in front of wittnesses. I still use paypal, but have made enough deals off line to compensate for any losses. It sucks to have to put selling as is especially on an item that is not electrical to avoid the not as described crowd. Most people are honest, and it's a shame a few have to screw things up. It is kinda fun putting their names and information in swingers magazines then calling them. You wouldn't beleive the SPL of some phone receivers when I have a girl call and the guys wife answers.
Jea48 is right. Unless you are a seller and withdraw the funds and have your bank change your CC# each time you make a deal. I've been waiting 33 days for 2 sets of Linn IC's form England. The sell said he'd shipped 2 more sets 3 weeks ago and I assured him that if I ended up with 4 I'd send the extras back since I didn't pay for them. 2 weeks ago he said he shipped a 3rd set for me waiting so long. Yesterday I had to put in a claim for a refund and the seller has 1 week to respond. If I receive the IC's then I simply close the case. If he has withdrawn the funds and changed his CC# I still get paid back thru paypal and they go after him, or send it to collections. I'm hoping to get the IC's since they were a good price and will leave a positive feedback. The seller has 235 positives and no negatives, so the items could still be in customs. You have only 45 days to file a claim from the sale date.
Secure for whom? I've had buyers with suspended paypal accounts (suspension would be over within 30 days) asking if they could send me a postal M.O. for an item. Fine with me as long as if it's off of ebay or agon to avoid fees. The check has to clear first thru the post office, not my bank. I also let them know to send the check registered mail, so they'd at least have something showing that they sent me money. Without paypal there is no guarantee that the seller will ship the actual item, so paypal is good for buyers and so so for sellers. Buyers have to have some type of recource if the seller is not on the up and up.