A new turntable under 500-700euros

I'm 63 years old and I've got 2 turntables 1) Linn sondek LP12/Ittok/Ortofon MC30Super and Thorens 160S MKV/TP90/Ortofon MC15Super. I switched to CD for the last 20 years for two reasons: I didn't like the sound of both turntables, it was musical but fat at the bass and dull and second I was used at the CD sound and I couldn't stand the clicks, pops and scratch of the vinyl. I've got about 1000 records mostly used but at good condition. Now I want to start listening again to turntable. I will sell the turntables and I will buy a direct drive turntable. Any proposition for a DD turntable under 500 euros or exceeding 700euros the most? And a cartridge under 200euros preferably a non elliptical stylus because all the elliptical cartridges I have heard are exaggerating the problems of the used records? I prefer a MM cartridge with conical stylus something like nagaoka MP100 or Sumiko Black Pearl. Conical styli don't have the detail of the elliptical ones but they are much more silent and subdue the imperfections of the records.Thank you all. 
rawbleed

Showing 7 responses by rawbleed

Dear Noromance, thank you for your answer. The first time I heard a CD player I thought "what is this"? But now I believe that if you want to be a serious audiophile you've got to listen to CD players first and then switch to turntables. They will learn you what is tonal accuracy, lean but not fat bass, etc. Back at the '80s I was in love with Linn Sondek LP12 and i was thinking that I would die with this turntable. Now I can't stand it. It's tonally inaccurate and the famous musicality is nothing but exaggerations at the sound spectrum. As for clicks and pops I'm so sensitive now that from the moment the cartridge touches the record and I hear scratches I say "Bring back the cds". I think  Pioneer PLX500 or 1000 is the right choice but Nagaoka MP110 has elliptical stylus. Any other proposition? As for phono preamp I have Luxman CO3 preamplifier and MO3 amplifier and I think that the CO3 pre has a decent phono stage.  
@noromance Thank you for the selection of conical cartridges. I didn't know the site. Very informative.
@roberjerman Thank you. Denon 103R is a MC cartridge and I'd prefer a MM  cartridge. Anyway thank you for your kindness.
Dear friends, thank you all. I have the two turntables upon Target racks bought back at  '80s. Under each turntable there is a marble slab about 10 kilos each. The sound of turntables is great . The problem is that I  don't like this sound anymore. Back at the '80s I had a friend who had an Audio Innovations 500 tube amplifier and everybody was raving mad about it but I didn't like it at all. That amplifier played excellent only classical music. When we played Led Zeppelin or something like that, it was a disaster. I remember telling to my friend "I need more kick,more drive". It was so without nerve. I remember it now because it's the same situation. I need more drive, more rhythm, more speed, the sound seems soft and dull. Maybe it's the result of 20 years listening to CD players. Anyway thank you.
@gregm @elizabeth @cakyol Dear friends thank you for your advice. Food for thought. Dear Cakyol and Gregm you both propose belt drive turntables (ATLP7 and Clearaudio Concept) and I have already 2 belt drive turntables. I need a Direct Drive turntable with sound closer to CD. A friend proposed Pioneer PLX 500 or 1000 but I'm hesitating because I don't want USB facility or phono preamp (PLX500) and I don't want DJ facilities (PLX1000). I'm looking for a Direct Drive turntable for domestic use with no USB, preamp, or DJ gimmicks. Any suggestion? Elisabeth proposed something reasonable. Change the cartridge or phono preamp. I think I'll keep one of the two turntables (maybe the Thorens) and change the cartridge, I'll sell the Linn and buy a Direct Drive turntable, so I will have 2 turntables one belt drive and one direct drive. What I like about the DD turntables is the robust and vivid sound and how the music comes alive especially rock and jazz. I will keep the belt drive turntable for classical music. Thank you.

A friend of mine suggested that I can achieve the sound I'm looking for by upgrading the Linn LP12 (external power supply, better plinth, better arm,etc) but all this upgrade will cost a lot of money and I can't afford it. My pension is 550 euros and I can't afford major upgrades. I think I'll buy the Pioneer PLX500 or Onkyo CP-1050 suggested by gregduke or I will try to hunt a secondhand Technics (1510 or 1710). Thank you for your help.