A moderate priced dac

I borrowed a musical fidelity tri vista 21 dac from a friend and I was very impressed with the sound compared to my parasound p5 pre. This dac is over 10 years old. Has the technology changed enough that a moderately price dac can compete?Any suggestions?
audiomaze
You may want to look at the audiosciencereview.com website.  They have a lot of reviews and an ongoing performance chart of all the dacs that they have reviewed.  The law of diminishing returns seems to quickly set in.  https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-of-measurement-comparison-charts.8246/#post-207205
Another nod for Schiit DACs, particularly Multibit models. I’ve owned each of their models from the bifrost and up. The tech in DACs progresses quickly, and these models offer modestly priced updates when available. Lots of reviews of their site are available. 
I picked up a used PS audio Nuwave dsd and it outperforms my old dacmagic with very little digital harshness. Still not quite analog like but very listenable.