A DAC that can make digital sound analog?

Hi All,

I have a ModWright Oppo 105D. It’s excellent....but it sure don’t sound like vinyl or tape.

What DACs have you heard that really work like magic on digital audio files? 

I am interested in DACs that kill that digital glare/blare, that gives you that sense of ‘blackness’ or ‘darkness’ to the audio soundscape, really letting you hear into the mix...ya know that layering, space and depth that is very evident on tape.

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
128x128brettmcee
Anyone actually like digital glare and noisy dacs that do not sound good? Anyone?
@brettmcee I've been following this thread to try and get a better understanding of exactly what you're looking for, but I'm still not sure I have a good picture of it.

I notice some people have mentioned the Lumin DACs with transformer-coupled outputs. I agree that they might fit your criteria as being very close to what you'd hear from an actual turntable setup. The Neko Audio D100 DAC that I designed also uses transformer-coupled outputs and I would put it in similar company.

But sometimes people looking for an analog sounding DAC aren't looking for what sounds like a turntable setup, but rather something that sounds a bit less dry and instead more engaging and warm. Or just something that doesn't sound like there's some veil or hash in the high frequencies while everything else being the same.
TotalDAC (monoblocs with streamer/reclocker) was a game-changer and end-of line for me along this search criteria. 
Two dacs of late have given me the " digital is the new nirvana" feelings.

My own Ayon S3 tube DAC, I stream Quboz hirez via an Aries Mini to the Ayon then out via xlr to my Ayre ax7e.

And the best compliment I can come up with is that it sounds like vinyl.
No glare or harshness anywhere, maybe it is just a tad rounded off with some slight loss of detail but I can listen for HOURS!.

I was extremely lucky ( or cursed!) to be able to try a Chord DAVE in my system of late.
Oh my.
Same analog sound but more detailed and broader deeper soundstage. Just WOW really.
And that is the cursed part .. Lol. Need to cook up some legal scheme to find 10k to pay for one.
I have heard a cd v vinyl comparison using the modright oppo 105 and half the audience preferred the cd which i thought sounded like noise. So be careful who you take advice from. I am sure a good digital solution is out there but like you I'm still looking.