A DAC that can make digital sound analog?

Hi All,

I have a ModWright Oppo 105D. It’s excellent....but it sure don’t sound like vinyl or tape.

What DACs have you heard that really work like magic on digital audio files? 

I am interested in DACs that kill that digital glare/blare, that gives you that sense of ‘blackness’ or ‘darkness’ to the audio soundscape, really letting you hear into the mix...ya know that layering, space and depth that is very evident on tape.

Very curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
128x128brettmcee
My Lumin D1 is paired with Devore Orangutan speakers and my X1 with Focal Scalas. They both aren't fatiguing at all. Their strengths are articulated mid range and 3D imaging: Voices and snares are precisely 3D centered, wich my Chord 2Qute DAC can't achieve with as much efficiency, even though I move the speakers. Imo, it has nothing to do with the eq curve, but more with the stereophonic capabilities
@vinci92 Your comments are making me very interested in the T2. Curious to hear the difference between it and the PS Audio Directstream Junior that I have. 
Naim ND555 but it’s expensive in its homeland and the markup crossing the Atlantic isn’t trivial, oh and it’s a streamer. The DAC chip isn’t fashionable, or even produced any more but its implementation is outstanding. I’ve had one since August and it competes with analog on the latter’s strong points. If your budget is up to it give one a listen, if not don’t go near it.
Not sure I understand this.  You are looking for a transistor set-up that sounds like a non-transistor (tube?) set-up.

Wouldn't that entail having the transistor (DAC) programmed to change the sound of the music so it sounds like something else rather than what it sounds like before introducing (programming-in) these "changes?"

I thought the objective was to reproduce the music as accurately as possible without "changing" it to sound like something it is not.

Sorry to be so confused, but if you like the music played accurately, why buy something that, by definition, introduces electronic modifications to the sound you are hearing?  Seems a bit schizophrenic to me.  Why not just use equipment that reproduces the sound accurately throughout the chain?
Depends, are you looking to cover up the glare or have a great sounding digital front end.  Any CEC transport will help to eliminate glare if you use a transport.  Any DAC can be made to remove glare by upgrading parts quality is specific areas especially power supply.  Also SS vs tube DAC designs.  Some DACs have filter settings such as NOS, etc.  You can filter AC by using filter chokes which can also help.  So IMO it is more of what sound you are looking for, cost, and the design of the DAC.  It is not magic, just implementation.

Happy Listening.