A comparison between two DACs, one R-2R, the other ES 9038-based.

This is an item from the FWIW Department, I guess.

Recently I set up an A/B comparison between a Denafrips Pontus and an OPPO Sonica…. Both DACs fed from a Nuprime CDT-8, via the XLR inputs on the same preamp, and everything else constant through the two signal paths to the speakers.

The result when I repeatedly toggled back and forth from the preamp’s input one [Denafrips] to its input two [OPPO]?---- To my surprise [and disappointment], the sounds from the two DACs were utterly indistinguishable, across all kinds of music, after repeated trials … impossible to tell apart… impossible.

The moral of the story? I don’t really know, but it does suggest to me that those who say that DACs of comparable quality cannot be told apart just might have a point.

I bought both the Pontus and the Sonica because I thought that it would be nice to have on hand DACs of “different flavours,” one based on an R-2R ladder, the other based on a delta-sigma chip. 

I did want the expected difference to be real… just for the fun of it… else why spend the extra money? So, my “confirmation bias” was, if anything, stacked in favour of there being a detectable difference.  

However, the results of a reasonably well controlled comparison [sadly?] did not bear out that expectation. Differently based DACs, 2-R2 vs delta-sigma, may not offer such different flavours as many suggest. Is that claim all much ado about nothing?

Thoughts from members of the Forum?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xzimmerma
I appreciate your comparison and since that Denafrips is obviously way over priced I would be happy to take it off your hands for a meager sum. ;-)
It's all about resolution and fidelity with a DAC. If your gear can't reproduce it, it won't make a difference. A 10k$ DAC sounds the same as a motherboard's through the garbage packaged with your iPhone. Not commenting on your gear, just that the effects are extraordinarily subtle and the differences require extremely sensitive instrumentation to detect.
Your pre/amp might be imposing the same character on both? I’m doing the same now I have an R2R DAC that I’m auditioning against a Rega DAC R and there significant differences, working through extended listening to understand the differences.
I've compared Denafrips Terminator and Oppo 205 previously.  Denafrips products require long break-in time, for Terminator, it's about 3 months of high usage.  When I had the Terminator, it sounds the best when using coax connected to a good CD transport (not Oppo 205, no AES/EBU output).

I suggest you use your transport AES/EBU output into Pontus.  Let the Pontus breaks in before you do any serious comparison.
Thank you for this A/B test. More of the same please. I have myself still to hear a significant, or should I say interesting, difference between two alright dacs. Why spend 200 hours trying to find the smallest difference when you can change speakers and have a totally different presentation in five seconds? At least I'm not there yet and will probably never be (too little time and too many speakers....). Open to suggestions though.

Bought a used Forsman D2-10 yesterday. Happy weekend :-)