A battle between two turntable generations. Which one is the winner?

Being an electronic and acoustic enginner, I've worked for well renowned Companies in Germany, that led me to listen to all kind of analog equipments, from turntables to tonearms, cartridges... I love the analog sound!

While I've had the EMT 927 and 930, the SP-10 of all versions, VPI's, Thorens, etc... I ended with my reliable Garrard 301, that I bought brand new in London, England. Believe me, a well engineered plinth for the Garrard 301 transforms the 301 in an outstanding turntable.

Time passed and my beloved Fidelity Research FR-66 SS tonearm was substitued for the magnificent (and a bargain!) Trans-Fi Terminator (best linear tracking tonearm I've experienced). When I felt that it was time to change the Garrard 301 for a new one and based on the positive reviews, I emailed Bruce McDougall, the designer and owner of ANVIL turntables to quote a turntable that could suit the Terminator Tonearm. (Linear tracking tonearms need a VERY stable plinth to perform at best) because I would like to compare the Garrard with a contemporary turntable without breaking the bank.

The ANVIL comes complete (you can name it "turbinated") with adjustable motor board (adjustable string tension), adjustable arm board, the new bearing model and the proprietary magnetic levitated footers.

To make real comparisions, the only thing that I changed was the Garrard 301. Victor Patacchiola's tonearm (Terminator), Audio-Technica AT50ANV Limited Edition (the most natural cartridge ever!) and Steven Huang's Audio Sensibility Impact SE phono cable remained the same.

The main LP that I used (and accostumed with it, too) is a fabulous recording of Switzerland's vocal jazz "BRIGITTE BADER MEETS JOHNNY GRIFFIN", very very rare limited edition by ARS of Germany. Many japanese audiophiles that I know use this recording to "tune" their systems. If you come across this LP, please buy it! This is an all analogue recording made with purist techniques and direct recorded on a Studer B67 recorder.

Although the Garrard + Terminator show their positive potential on track 3, "HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON", (oh) boy!... the Anvil + Terminator is in a different league: it transformed the already perfect soundstage in an outstanding presentation. All the authoritative bass present in the Garrard (probably due to idler wheel drive??) stay there, but with tonal nuances never heard before. The Anvil is unbelievable quiet with perfect speed stability . Certainly the new bearing and a massive platter contributes for a clarity on complex passages that I have not ever experienced before. At $3700.00 (the price that I paid for the Anvil "turbinated with accessories") is a bargain if compared with some turntables that uses plastic, MDF (oh my God!) and other "fancy" materials. The Anvil is of all metal construction and is HEAVY (about 60lbs) and certainly this contributes for the supreme results.

I'm not affiliate with ANY companies mentioned in this review. I'm just a passionate audiophile searching for the best and this combination made my ears smiling!

Would you like to share with me, fellow Audiogon members, your impressions and thoughs about your phono system? Cheers!, Jose.
ultima700
bdp24,

My years of experience with my VPI Mk IV/ET 2.5 ended up being a lesson in several aspects of what has become my foundation of what I perceive as the basis for basic audio system set-up. (The more compliant the plinth, (as in the VPI w/springs,) the more issues I had with the ET.)

(There is some misleading info out there as to what pressure an ET arm uses. Bruce can optimize the end users arm for a wide range of air pressures. This may depend on which iteration of the ET one has, a larger diameter spindle/manifold..etc...) For example, a friend of mine bought the larger diameter spindle but had Bruce optimize the air pressure for his situation at 7psi. In the end, I don't think how one chooses to deal with the pulsing or moisture differs from one design to the other.

I’m not up to date on the recommended air pressure of the Trans-Fi.

Good luck.
The lower mass of the Trans-Fi vs. the ET does, I’m sure, make a big difference in one’s application.

(BTW, I’m good with supporting the local record store but the difference between $13.00 vs. $23.00, no contest. Using this method, you could buy my moisture/pulsing control method in as much as ten lps purchased through your local store.)
A fellow audiophile told me I should not consider a TT unles it had on-the-fly vta adjustment. Is it true?
On-the fly is a nice option, but not a reason for overlooking buying a TT.

After all, if you are seriously thinking about a TT, you should know that this form of music reproduction is not "plug n’ play".

It requires a level of, first.... passion. This passion will lead you to the other obstikals you will encounter, such as isolation, various forms of set-up, record cleaning and so on.
I don't think there are any turntables (not tonearms) that have on the fly VTA adjustment, but I could be wrong. The Technics, I think can be adjusted at it's base but not on the fly?  Mine will have this capability in the near future.