a/b interconnect cable comparison single ended

here is an approach to help to determine which of two cables is least colored.

asuume there exists two cables : a and b. you will need two female to female connectors.

select recordings. listen to stereo system with cable a. take good notes. listen to stereo system with cable b. allow appropriate interval between listening sessions to avoid loss of acuity. again, take notes.

listen to cable a + coupler + cable b. take good notes.
listen to cable b + coupler + cable a. take good notes

you have 4 conditions to compare. use the results to help determine which of the two cables alters the sound more than the other.

yes, the coupler may add some "coloration" and yes the reults are anecdotal and highly subjective. but, hopefully, a good first step. perhaps there are other suggestions and improvements to this process.
mrtennis

Showing 1 response by sol322

Mr. Tennis
I'd say that your approach in having better comparison means instead of the classic pause (shut down) disconnect, reconnect, seat, play again is good. It can give you a better glimpse of each cable characteristics faster. That doesn't mean you are not going to listen to each cable for longer periods to really have a more thorough evaluation.

Point to remember when you try anything at home: you'll select what appeals best to your ears, not necessarily what is the "truest cable".
In other words if it's closer to the ideal cable is one matter, that the user likes, enjoys, foot taps what is heard is another; in my book the latter overwhelms the former, because I look for music enjoyment.

On the inputs regarding tape loop for the evaluation, I agree with Sean that there are differences indeed. As a matter of fact I choose the input connector based on what I hear sounds better not necessarily because the manufacturer marked a determined input “CD” for example.

You can assess the difference the input makes on the result swaping cable/ input and re-evaluate. Another approach is to use one single cable and evaluate it using input “A” then input “B” and hear if the existing difference is that relevant to your evaluation results.

I think we have to simplify this hobby a little and enjoy the music more.... just my 2 cents guys

Luis