A/B Comparison On A Pair Of Moderately Priced Streamers

Based strictly on signal quality and what makes your ears happy ( I don't care about storage for sake of question).......Would anyone make the argument that an Innuos Zen mini is an upgrade over an N100?

scottya118

If one follows these guidelines, digital audio will reach the USB DAC ’bit-perfect’, as Denon calls it. It can’t get any more perfect than that can it?

Ugh.  🙄

@cwatters0 I've not heard it, I was only offering that software observation based on a YouTube video I watched that stated that it did run the same software as the Zen.

When I heard that, I stopped watching.  I don't have an easy or elegant way to feed an Ethernet cable into my listening room, so a solid wireless connection is paramount to me. 

Many have bemoaned that iFi hasn't yet updated the Zen to be better in that regard, otherwise they'd have a true winner on their hands at its price point. I would hope the NEO Stream would even be better.  Good luck if you purchase one. 

@cwatters0 on paper at least the Zen NEO Stream looks great, a reasonable jump from a Bluesound Node (as it should be at over twice the cost). The onboard DAC seems to offer a lot, even outputting DSD files directly to analog without first converting them to PCM.

But it still comes down to ease of use without aggravation. No matter how good the hardware is, if it isn’t easy, fun, and reliable to use, then I’d rather have a slightly lower quality sounding device that is easy, fun, and reliable to use.

When I come home from work, I want to blow off stress and listen to music. I don’t want to have to spend an hour troubleshooting devices or having to second guess software. iFi seems to have some great devices from their Zen series to now, the NEO series, but in terms of user functionality, they need to get with it.

It is beyond maddening that a cheap $99 WiiM Mini Streamer has better user interface software and better Wi-Fi connection than devices costing much more. Dumb.

I’ve had my eye on the Zen Stream since it came out, wanting to pair it with a "decent" DAC, but am waiting on some reviewers to say that "yes", the Wi-Fi connection issues have been fixed.

Till then, the seemingly best low cost solution is to buy an easy to use, easy to love Bluesound Node and never use its onboard DAC, but rather feed an external one that is demonstrably better, maybe the Denafrips Ares II or a Schuman Ladder (if you want better bass). Pity.

My budget for a streamer and DAC or a streamer/DAC is capped around $2500. I’m 64, my hearing rolls off at 13,000 Hz and have a touch of 8000 Hz tinnitus, so I tap out at that level of quality and can call it a day. More power to those who have better ears and deeper wallets. Enjoy.