A $300-$400 turntable tweak

This is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Buy yourself a turntable outer rim-weight.........brand doesn't matter.
These are the metal ring-type weights intended to keep the vinyl flat at the edges just as a centre clamp or weight is intended to keep the record flat at the centre.
Now use it religiously on every record for 3 weeks.
After that time, throw it away and listen to all your records again.
The transparency, space and depth will all have now returned and you will once again remember why you love vinyl.
128x128halcro

Showing 4 responses by rockitman

It all comes down to the brand/model of the tables... whether a ring is beneficial or not. Lighter tables, platters with matte's are probably not good candidates. Heavy weight tables with big heavy solid platter's that use no matte are another kettle of fish. I have gone back and forth with the ring on my table... Clearaudio Innovation Wood compact with a 15 lb. Hard Duralin type platter material. So far the outer ring is winning !
Manitunc,

I agree, magnetic bearing's like yours and on Clearaudio's bigger CMB tables are unaffected by the additional weight.
05-18-11: Manitunc
Rockitman,

I dont know if I agree with your statement that the additional weight will not affect a magnetic bearing. Depending on the strength of the magnet, it may not be able to maintain the separation between the bearing surfaces.

That's a given Manitunc. I can easily see the clearance between the magnetic bearing and platter on my table...I agree, too much weight so that the platter makes contact with the bearing would be bad.
Regarding clamps and rings, it all depends on the turntable, the type/weight of center weight and the outer ring weight. So many vaiables, no wonder YMMV...

For my table, the TT Weights Super ring and the clearaudio quadro clamp weight sounds best for my system.