$8k budget. Need advice.

Hello all,

If you clicked on this page you must have some kind of input. But first, let me narrow it down.

I just picked up a pair of AAD 2001 monitors. I love these to death and may never give them up. I need an amp now that will work best with these.

First, music I enjoy ranges from dark folk music (like Iron and Wine) to Classical guitar and Contemporary/Modern Piano to Sia and Ingrid Michaelson. Even some emo/punk mixed in here and there.

The sound I'm going for is a slightly open mid-range and tube-like lush (which is a requirement). Extended highs and good bass control is mandatory as well. Good blend of resolution and musicality would be best. I tend to like the warmer sound as well, given my preference to tubes.

Amp will need to be an integrated with a tube pre-amp (but will consider SS if it is warm enough). Needs to be class A or A/B, 100-300 watts per channel into 8ohm and be at least semi-aesthetically pleasing. Yes, looks count too but are not top priority.

At this point I'm seriously considering a BAT VK300se 6H30 model. I've read other threads on this one and it seems great but don't know if it will be good for the AADs.

If you've had experience with other integrated amps of this type/class I'd be very interested in your feedback. Anything up to the $8k range, new/used, doesn't matter. Biggest reason I'm asking is because this is one of those rare opportunities that I actually have money to spend on a hobby like this and it may not come again for a very long time. I need to make this one count. All inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
tiggerfc

Showing 1 response by ts0711

Why integrated and what are your sources? Based upon your listening and the power requirements of the AAD's I would recommend tube based mono blocks, like the VTL MB125's. (I have no affiliation with the pair being sold here.)

Then depending on the number of sources you could get a great preamp, either active (tubes)or passive. Also do you have your source components? And don’t forget cabling as well.

If thought out you can get a real lot of bang for the buck