845 Tube vs KT90

Thinking about auditioning/purchasing a 845 mono block, may cost me big money, so i'd like a few ideas on what to expect from the 845 tube image.
I have a Jadis OR with KT90 and really offers me pretty much what i love in my classical music, each orch section is heard distinctly from the others, IOW the sound stage has presence. However I've heard such wonderful comments about the "king of all tubes" the 845.
I'm wondering though, will the single 845 tube deliver the same separation of fq's as well as the dynamics of the mids are separate from the highs and lows. I do not like at all the image presented by the KT88 tube, nor the 300B tube for classical. Both from my experience have presented classical/orch as a flat one dimensional sound. A total flop.
For light rock , jazz, blues these tubes seem to be best.
So what should I expect from the 845 on classical, though I realize not every 845 amp will present the same image, inner components quality also play a big role. Just looking for general characteristcs as concerns the separtion of the 3 main fq's/lows/mids/highs.
bartokfan

Showing 3 responses by gunbei

I don't have a direct KT90/845 comparison to offer, but I will say that after using only solid state amps in my apartment I was very pleasantly surprised at the control and impact the Bel Canto SET40 had on my system.

The SET40 is an 845 amp rated at 37wpc, and aside from the nice tube sonic characteristics it didn't give up much slam compared to a BAT VK200. This was something I definitely didn't expect. I often switched back and forth between these two amps which were running a pair of ProAc Response 2.5s. Most ProAcs have a sensitivity rating of around 86-88dB, but I believe they have a pretty mild impedance curve which allows them to mate well with amps that would seemingly be underpowered.

When the finances allow for it, I'd definitely like to get a hold of one of these amps again.
"why not take a trip to Las Vegas this week to hear some of these options for yourself?"

Because CES and AVN are no longer concurrent held! Rats!
Ahh, Warren, you're making it even tougher for me to hold out!! Heheh. How does your BC combo make your Zu 1.5s sound?

Another thing is that I really miss how the SET40 warmed up my room on those cold days!