845 Tube vs KT90

Thinking about auditioning/purchasing a 845 mono block, may cost me big money, so i'd like a few ideas on what to expect from the 845 tube image.
I have a Jadis OR with KT90 and really offers me pretty much what i love in my classical music, each orch section is heard distinctly from the others, IOW the sound stage has presence. However I've heard such wonderful comments about the "king of all tubes" the 845.
I'm wondering though, will the single 845 tube deliver the same separation of fq's as well as the dynamics of the mids are separate from the highs and lows. I do not like at all the image presented by the KT88 tube, nor the 300B tube for classical. Both from my experience have presented classical/orch as a flat one dimensional sound. A total flop.
For light rock , jazz, blues these tubes seem to be best.
So what should I expect from the 845 on classical, though I realize not every 845 amp will present the same image, inner components quality also play a big role. Just looking for general characteristcs as concerns the separtion of the 3 main fq's/lows/mids/highs.
bartokfan

Showing 7 responses by bartokfan

Yeah good point. Does 845 fall into the category of the 300B tube amps?
Meaning higher sensitivty speakers suits the 845 better than say a lower sensitivity?
I have the Thor a MTM with SEas drivers. Like 88db, the JOR does OK, but would like something more in my music, presence. Don't we all?
Anyway I have intentions of getting the Tyler Woodmere 2's...one day.... So that may be part of the equation. I think they are like the Thor's 88db..?? I do not want roll offs in the low and high fq's as was my experience of both the KT88 and 300B tube amps.
Q: should I stick with what i already know I like? The KT90 sound. But maybe upgrade to a larger KT90 amp? Which would be the Jadis DA60 (or mono blocks with 90's, as I'm looking at a nice preamp i really want).
I just googled here "845" and see the old topic "Tube fever, 845 set amps"
I read where EJLIU posted on 1-14-06 "most 845 SET 40 watt amps do not do well on low impedance speakers". So like the 300B tube, the speaker must work around the 845amp.
In my game speakers come first, the tube amp has to work for the speaker.
Besides the Cayin monos have a single 300B tube with the driver 845 tube on each chassis, that alone should raise a red flag, in that the speaker must have good sensitivity for the 845.
Still looking for a solid opinion on the general character of the 845 vs the KT90 on classical.
As I say i'm very happy with the JOR but having read all the comments on the magic of the 845 I'd like to know if this would bring another dimension to classical.
If the 845 is brother to the 300B then it aon't gonna happen. Classical, orchestral I'm refering to, totally overwhelms the cababilities of the 300 tube. Even most KT88 amps I've heard have difficulities with orchestral. Have not heard the EL34's. The KT90 may be the ideal tube for orchestra.
Thoughts?
Jeff interesting post. The 845 I am interested in are the Cayin mono blocks, not the big ones, its the $5K model. Not sure of the specs, it may be push pull. . IOW like the Cayin 300, they offer 2 models, the push pull (P) and the 300 set (D model)
I believe I heard the push pull with Silverline Sonatas, 4 yrs ago. I guess the push pull 300 will have more drive for orch vs the set model. So my opinion can't be established until I know which model I heard.
I'd love to audition a 845 in my home.
So there is a ;pw powered SET 845 and the push pull 845.
btw the JOR is rated conservative 40 watts, but tends to be flat unless the tone controls are biased up almost all the way. Which I've been told by the local tech guy is not a proper image. But hey i like it that way and thats all that matters.
I'm interested to know if the 845 will present the orch without the need for pumping the bias up. IOW w/o the use of the tone controls on the JOR the image is way too flat.
The Chinese KT88 amp I demoed at home was useless on the Thor'in any music.
It sounded like the old 60's AM radio.

When I play Faith Hill and the bass tone turned up, vol at 9 o clock, the 7 inch midbass flutter being so over loaded. So the JOR has power, but only if boosted by the tones. i guess I want a tube amp to deliver the lows and highs with minimium roll off. And no muddy/murky/smokey mid section.
Is there such a beast?
Tvad the CES would be an excellent opportunity for hearing the 845 , there should be at least several offerings on this amp at the show. But alas, one more yr not financially able.

I do not listen with the JOR's tone controls all the way up, only at 80% open. Basically the tone controls have 2 settings, ON/OFF , as they have very little sensitivity to change on the dial.
You'd have to chat with the local tech guy here in BR for him to explain it to you. He placed the tone 75% open and said thats where he'd listen.
What i'm after is a bigger amp, with more power. But i do not want to lose what the KT90 offers, which is one of the nice reproduction for classical music, to my ears.
Most of the fq's in orchestral instruments, winds/brass, strings are mid heavy, so the 845 may bring out these fq's in a way i like. But like someone mentioned above every 300 tube amp will have some differences. And so every 845 will have lend own character to the tube.. I guess its not so simple to convey what a 845 tube brings to orch music. It has to be experienced in an audition.
seems the CES show is the one place where alot of questions can be answered in hearing the different set ups, set/push pull, high sensitive speakers etc.
Thinking it over the Seas speakers (Thor, Tylers) are not going to be the ideal match for the 845. Its just my intuition. I may have to go with this combo Melody's big pre amp, the one that weighs in at 50 lbs!! and a used Jadis JA 80 monos with KT90's.
And be done with it.
I'm sticking with this game plan.

Warren I received a PM from a member who also said he loved the 845 magic, just wrote a second Pm and said this of the 845 on orch: "positions each section of the orch , can hear individual instrument solos"..."floating harmonics in space" IOW not restricted/confined. He also mentioned he does not like a bloated thick/heavy midrange again we are giving our opinions so whats great sounding to one, may not be too another. My friend here in BR, a Agon member , has the Vandersteens 3's. He loves what they do, to me they are too thick, I feel fatigue. I guess he feels my Thors are too 'thin/sharp/cold", which to me is my ideal speaker.
transfer this to amps, the 845 may suit some perfectly, and I've yet to find out. Of course we have 845 amps all the way from the Ebay chinese offerinfs at $800 intergrated to the big $12K Cayin mono blocks, also the famous and rare Jadis 845 monos.
In the PM J also mentioned that "orch is the acid test of any amp/system". I agree.
In my current system, the JOR (Jadis's smallest offering) is not bringing out all the potential the Thors hold. And if I get the Tyler W2's in the future I need something that will A) meet the demands of the Seas drivers/bring out the potential B) deliver orch with the separation of each section, fine lines/sharp/details. Which is the character of the KT90. I'm willing to give up some of these qualities to the 845 in exchange for "floating harmincs" "the 845 magic".
I'm not far from Houston, maybe there are audio dealers there with the 845 amp.
Aren, Dark, thanks for helpful imput.
Both of you raise my awareness of what the 845 SET (most are low powered, thus higher sensitivity speakers are best option) are alla about. Aren you mention the Ming Da, is that the ones that weigh in at 375 lbs!!! I saw a pair for sale here last month, a sweet deal at $3500. But alas too heavy for my back to move around. Besides they are rather large and not all that attractive. They were 80 watt push/pull. I also heard a big Audio research + ARC pre on Magnapans at a dealer in New Orleans months ago, they sucked the amp dry with no dynamics on orch. I hearda Conrad Johnson on Martin logans once and sucked dry with orch. The cayin 300/Silverline Sonata combo could not bring any life to orch. For light jazz/vocal the 300/Silverline was UNREAL, liquid and sur-realistic.

I do not know all the specs on the Thor/Seas, just know they are not the ideal speaker for tubes. Jadis' famous high power trans deliver the power for orch presentation from the Thors.
I'll share alittle story(yet again) on the ability of the JOR's power for its size. I first got it in and a friend asked to bring it over and hear it on his Mirage 1's, beast ofa spaeker for tubes, close to the level of demand as the Vandy 3's. We unhooked his massive Audio Research VT200 and ARC pre and to his surprised delivered some slam , but even better details than his ARC setup. But obviously the JOR would blow with continued use.
Anyway based on the above comments, I may just stick to what I know I like best, which the KT90 does overall. Budget? yea that is up in a ?. If the yr goes as i hope, a used JA80/KT90's may be my best option for the music i listen to. as in all things audio, compromise. Dark may a good point " really well implimented push/pull is just as good as SET's maybe even better"
Appreciate all the imput, sets my course straight.