845 Tube Amps

Does anyone know which 845 Tube Amps are currently being produced?
seadogs1

Showing 4 responses by phaelon

Seadogs1,
There is a New Audio Frontiers 845 special edition integrated amplifier being offered on Audiogon for a good price. I own a NAF 300b special edition that I’m elated with.
The greater difference will be found in the typical application of these tubes rather than the tubes themselves. 845s are triods, typically found in lower power tube amplifiers, but relatively highish power SETs. KT88s are pentodes that can be found in amplifiers of all power ratings.
I know better than to answer technical questions, but sometimes I’m overcome by the urge to jump off the porch and run with the big dogs. The KT88 is a tetrode capable of operating in triode and...somebody else take it. I know when to shut up...sometimes.
Wilfredt,

I believe it’s possible for an 845 to deliver all the punch and dynamics you could ask for if it is used in a circuit that is well matched to the speaker. Pentode amplifiers will deliver that same punch and dynamics to a wider range of speakers.

We all have our preferences, but I have heard most major tube types deliver outstanding sound when employed correctly in a well designed amplifier.