845 SET? deHavilland / Art Audio/et..al.

Any impressions on the deHavilland Aries and Art Audio Carissa? How do they compare? Comparable 845 based amps that should be considered? How do they compare with those mentioned? And finally, and thoughts on the difference in sound between the dH Aries monoblocks and the stereo IOS? My speakers are Merlin VSM-MXes, should that enter into the equation. Thanks.
pubul57

Showing 2 responses by phaelon

Goldeneraguy,
What kind of speakers are you using. I've been wondering if the Aries would be a good match with my JM Lab Mini Utopias (91.5db). I don't want to just scrape by with the power; I like it to sound easy. Also, I'm currently using a cj premier 11a and I definitely don't want anything warmer or lusher.

Regards
Hi Pubul57,
Well, I'm probably the last person who should try to get technical but here goes: From all that I've read, I've come to think of output transformers sort of like window glass. We want windows so we can enjoy a view. The cleaner and higher quality the glass, the more lifelike the view. That said, the glass in the window also serves the purpose of sheltering us from the elements. If we had no need of this second purpose, the best view would be enjoyed by having no glass at all. Likewise, if your speakers have a sufficiently benign impedance, OTLs seem to make sense to me IMHO.