802 D3 vs 803 D3 vs Sopra 3 vs Sopra 2

I'm looking to replace my 15yo Nautilus 804 speakers that have been dedicated to my home theater setup until this last year when I started getting in to 2 channel HiFi.  Now the 804's are being shared using passthru mode.  

So, now I'm looking for a pair of speakers just to dedicate to HiFi.  The room I'm using is about 21 x 25 with about a 18 foot ceiling.  When I started the search I was primarily thinking about the 803 D3 or the Sopra 2s.  But now I'm thinking I should really be thinking about the 803 or Sopra 3 since my room is so large. I've auditioned both the 803 and Sopra 2 and think I like the Sopra 2 a little better but not by much.  My local Magnolia dealer has given me a pretty good price on the 802 so not sure what direction I'm going to end up going.  What ever I end up with is going to be driven by my MA5300 until I can spring for the MC462 in 2 or 3 months.  

I'm hoping that some of you that are familiar with both the B&W and Focals can help give me some insight here.  I need to make a decision fairly soon before the wife changes her mind.  :)

Thanks!
Ag insider logo xs@2xvolfan615

Showing 1 response by volfan615

My budget for the speakers is 20K max.  Would like to stay around 17.  My current power is a Mcintosh MA5300 (100 Watt).  I know I'll need more but there is no budget for that for a few months.  The plan is to find a MC462 or a used MC452 and then use my MA5300 as a preamp.