8-Tracks and Open-Reels: Who’s Got ‘Em and Whatcha Got?

Hi everyone,

I’m curious whether anyone here is into 8-track or open reel decks and if so, why. What decks do you have?

I really enjoy these old formats just because I find the mechanics of different formats really interesting. I also like to find newly released music that is exclusive to these formats (I think it’s a fun way to discover new music). I have a Pioneer H-R99 8-track deck, a Pioneer RT-707 open reel deck, and a Pioneer RT-909 open reel deck. I’ve found an independent record label that releases only on open-reel tape, and I’ve had luck in finding punk and even some vapor wave releases on 8-track.
What about you? Any love for these formats?
undefined

Still have the gold or champagne colored Wollensack recordable 8 track player, with the dual meters, everything works. Then again, quality was much better,in the,70’s.

thesemdays, things are,made,cheap w small beads of solder, which break,loose, etc etc.

she is a very sharp looking player.
have. Only maybe 12 8 tracks left.

have purchased the LP and cd OF ALL MY 8 tracks and,cassettes!

I have a tabletop in my listening room that needed something on it, so I grabbed a bunch of my old 8 tracks and scatted them on the table.  Some think it looks cluttered so that's what I call it, a "clutter of 8 tracks"😉.

An Akai GX-620 4-track/7.5 & 3.75 ips

TASCAM 32B 2-track/7.5 & 15 ips

About 10 pre-recorded reels plus another 25 of mostly Top 40 radio air checks from the 60's and 70's.

Plus, several unopened reels of Maxell UD 35-90 tape

No 8-track but a restored Onkyo TA-2800 3-head cassette deck

I have an old Sony RR that was a gift.  It sounds awful so I use it as a decoration..