78 RPM - Potential for better sound than digital?

I am interested in expanding my collection of music with a new focus on music from the 30s thru the early 50s. I'm considering 78s and wondering if anybody has been able to get better than digital sound quality out of such old recordings. I have both PC-based digital (Wavelength Audio Brick) and VPI Scout. If it can beat digital on sound quality, I would be willing to buy a preamp with appropriate equalization features (e.g., Graham Slee Jazz) and a dedicated 78 cartridge and take the trouble to find 78s in good condition. Has anybody been able to get great, better than digital sound from old music out of 78s? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks! Mark
mm2550

Showing 1 response by mags5000

Mark...I have been collecting old blues 78's for the past 5-6 years and have found copies which do indeed sound fantastic. As good as digital? No. However, the vast majority are just not all that great sorry to say. A big problem I see is price. I have many 78's that have cost several thousand dollars each in order to get an excellent copy. Most other types of music are not very collectible and are much cheaper to purchase in mint condition.