7500 for USED cables? Are they joking?

I've been out of high-end audio for about 8 years, and the thing I am most struck by on my return is the apparent acceptance of power cables, interconnects and speaker cables that cost as much or more than heavy-duty high-end components.

As a now-outsider of sorts, this really looks like the Emperor's New Clothes big-time. Especially power cords, considering the Romex that delivers the A/C to the outlet isn't exactly audiophile quality.

Are people really paying $500 and up for wire? Is this foolishness of the highest order, or is this what people now believe it takes to extract the last percent or two of definition from their components?

What happened? Even buyers of what are now considered "modestly priced" cables would be laughed out of the professional audio world, so why do audiophiles think they need something better than was used to make the original recording? MOST professional recording engineers scoff at the difference between microphone cables that cost $19.95 vs. those that cost $49.95 -- most anything higher is rarely considered at all (the most expensive microphone cable might be $125 for a 20 foot run, and it's laughed at by most of the pros).

I'm not criticizing -- I'm too stunned to draw any conclusions -- I just wondered if anyone has given this much thought.

(At least I understand the home theater revolution -- thank heavens something came along to save the high end manufacturers, although it makes me chuckle to think of someone spending $30,000 to watch the Terminator. It's OK with me.)

Thank you for your consideration,

Mark Hubbard
Eureka, CA
Ag insider logo xs@2xmark_hubbard

Showing 1 response by glen

I was waiting to announce the release of my new REVOLUTIONARY POWER CORD "The ANGRY INCH" (copyright pending) till this summer, however after reading this disturbing thread I am pushing the release date forward and will begin excepting orders immediately.

Unlike other LOSER cords which are sold by the foot the "ANGRY INCH" power cord will be sold by the inch for hundreds of dollars more!!!

Order now And I will throw in a set of Ginsu stake knifes absolutely free. Check the link below for a current picture of my new POWER CORD!!!

Ladies and gents I give you the ANGRY INCH!!!!

Please copy and paste the link below to see this exciting new product!!!

Order today!!!

Operators are standing by. Dial 1-800 ANGRY-INCH. You heard it right the first time thats 1-800-ANGRY INCH!!!

All orders subject to availability so please act now!!!

www.fototime.com/01A4AB8D181C41E/standard.jpg