750 US MC cartridge options

I amthinking of upgrading to an MC cartridge in the <750 US price range,I am familiar with the Denon 103R (great cart to my ears) but there are some other options from Zyx, used Koetsu Black or Sumiko which I also found interesting.

I will kindly appreciate your comments/suggestions of options you might consider based on your experience, please check my system below.

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 1 response by slipknot1

I second Dlwask's comments. I have experimented back and forth of late with both the Dynavector 17D (Karat) and the Shelter 501. Same price point for both, different design philosophies and sonics. They are both relatively low ouput MC, with the Dynavector coming in at 0.26mV, you would want to make sure your phono stage has the gain to drive them. The Shelter is a low compliance, heavy body cart, where the Dynavector is much lighter in weight and compliance. The Dynavector (in my system, in my room) is fast, agile and light on its feet, and the Shelter is a bit more dark, very lush midrange, with a slightly rolled off top end compared to the Dynavector. In my setup, the Shelter exhibits more low end and bass authority than the Dyna. But at around 800.00 new retail, they are both a wonderful choice. So much so, I kept both.