720p vs 1080i

hi guys
with a 1080p TV,using an upscaling DVD player,not using blu ray disc`s,what resoluton do i want to send to the TV?1080I OR 720P
THANKS
AL
alpass

Showing 2 responses by tgrisham

I have a friend who is a certified ISF technician and has calibrated 1000's of televisions. I stand by his advise. At 50" or less there is no difference to the human eye between 720 and 1080. Larger than that and the difference MAY be apparent, or not depending on your distance from the screen.
Thank you for the clarification. I meant to say that at 50" diagonal measurement displays or smaller, the differences between 720 and 1080 are insignificant. I did not mean at viewing distance. And, although most displays are good out of the box, all displays can be improved with calibration. The spec sheets and reviews show some displays come with virtually perfect calibration already and others benefit greatly. It varies from model to model. There is the room in which you are watching, and the source may determine the quality. Some displays have individual settings (some user accessible and others only technician accessible)for each source. There can be a great difference between the calibration for DVD-SD vs Blu-Ray vs over-the-air HDTV. I am not an expert, but this is what I understand to be true.