$7000 preamp vs $700 receiver - Is the difference THAT significant?

Current setup:
Marantz SR5005 (AV Receiver) + Peachtree Amp 500 + BluSound Node 2i + GoldenEar Trition 2+ = Current Setup

I'd like... no, want... no, desire... to add "Blue Meters" to my setup.  McIntosh haunts me.  For dozens of years.

My quandary:
Acquire a McIntosh C52/53, maybe C2600/2700... vs something like a Marantz AV7705 (or AV7706 appears it was just released).  Yes I know I'm comparing brie cheese and cheddar.  I'm more concerned with the notion that I can get "as good" sound out of that Marantz preamp, as I can from those McIntosh units... (ignore the multi-channel notions for the moment)

Is my sonic happiness "that much better served" by a McIntosh $7K unit vs a Marantz $2-3K unit?  How much difference can I expect?  
rabbottmke

Showing 2 responses by vinylshadow

scottscottsdale16 posts10-23-2020 10:29pm"I have the same question.  I currently stream Tidal from Apple TV into an AVR via HDMI using pre-out into PS Audio S300.  I understand that the DAC in the AVR let’s the side down.  But wouldn’t using the DAC in the Bluesound eliminate that trouble. "
Does your AVR have a good DAC? Better than the Bluesound? If so, does your DAC accept SPDIF connection into a digital input?

I ask because I used to use the same hook up as you. TIDAL through a Chromecast in HDMI port. But now I use my Android w/ UAPP and an OTG cable to a USB to SPDIF converter(Nobsound) and use a Straight Wire 75 ohm digital cable to connect it to my digital SPDIF input. My Classe's DAC supports 24/192 and I can get the first MQA unfolding(don't want/need the second unfolding) because I bought a Bit Perfect add on app through UAPP. A VERY inexpensive way to get TIDAL MQA.
p05129136 posts10-23-2020 10:14pm"any avr unit sounds like crap for 2 channel audio.".
Not all. My Classe SSP-800 has an analog pass through which does not apply its DAC to the 2 channel analog signal. So the signal remains unprocessed straight through to my Jeff Rowland amps.