7.1 HT proc/amp for B&W Matrix 803x2,805x3, DS6x2?

I put together a home theater for my 19x14 room with all B&W speakers, and need some suggestions. I have B&W Matrix 803 fronts, Matrix 805 center and rear surrounds and DS6 (wall hung) surrounds. I used 4 strands of good grade silver wire to each of the surrounds, to bi-wire if I so choose. Oh, and in a moment of weakness, I splurged on the biggest B&W subwoofer about 1.5 years ago - the ASW 850. Speakers are done!

I'm building a full-wall entertainment center in cherry to house the electronics and since I don't want a big hole in the middle of it, I will swap out my 53" Hitachi Ultravision rear projection TV for a DLP or plasma non-floor standing model (I'v had GREAT luck with Hitachi TVs for 20 years). But the room is south facing, with lots of windows in sunny Florida, so ambient light may negate a plasma choice - thoughts on that?

I also want to trade-up my electronics from the Onkyo TX-NR900 (7x110 WPC) and matching SACD/DVD player to a more musical and higher quality 7.1 HT processor and matching amp in the 150 - 200wpc range. The HT unit will be used by family when I'm not there, so simple operation is a must. Suggestions I've heard to date are the Krell Showcase, Classe and Rotel. But it looks like Krell doesn't make a 7-channel showcase amp, and I'm worried that multiple amps (2+5) will be an MCF for my family members to operate. For now, that leaves Classe on the high end and Rotel on budget end.

It seems that multi-channel technology is getting better every day, what else should I look at? I know I'm going to spend $5K or more, but $10K and more is really pushing it (although "accessories" like power management and cables may take me close to $8k or $9k).

I'm still playing with a final budget, but, after looking around, I don't believe I can afford McIntosh, and it doesn't seem to be a good sonic match anyway. I want better than Onkyo ... in a simple to operate, but moderately kickass package (HT processor and amp), (TV too) the DVD / SACD can wait. Any thoughts beyond the suggestions from my good friend [email protected] are welcome - how do I drive these classic speakers well without selling my firstborn to pay for it, or being disappointed with the quality?
celt16

Showing 1 response by bruceomega

Celt16,

I would look at the Integra Research RDC 7.1 Prepro and the Gemstone 7 channel amp. These are well within your budget. I own an RDC 7.1 and really like it. There is good potential for affordable upgrades in the future for the emerging high resolution surround sound audio formats, plus it already has DLPIIx to support 7.1 listening.

As an aside, neither of the Krell PrePros, Showcase or HTS 7.1, offer DPLIIx. They do offer DPLII, but that only supports 5.1.

I own a Sherbourn 7/2100 power amp, which performs very well. I mention the Gemstone because many at www.avs.forum.com seem to prefer it.

Good luck,
Bruce