6SN7 variants circa 2019 - tone, longevity, reliability, value

Greetings all -

I’m very interested in hearing from those of you who are using equipment with 6SN7 tubes to hear your thoughts on what the best options are here at the end of 2019. Please do not simply post a comment stating that all modern tubes are garbage - I’m not interested in hearing the same old tired complaints.

I’m especially interested to hear from those who have compared the new production Chinese variants to the NOS "tried and true" champions. I’m interested in hearing your thoughts about *Tone*, reliability and value.

I’ve been trying to get a handle on the Shuguang & Psvane tubes. Many folks rave about them sounding better than virtually all the famous NOS tubes. However, I’ve also run across quite a few posts where people state that they failed much earlier than expected.

It also appears that the Chinese tube manufacturers have gone crazy, creating multiple flavors of 6SN7 tubes. My recent searches have turned up:

The Psvane C-181-T11 Mk IIs - grey internal coating.

The harder to find previous Black Treasure C-181Zs which some found better than the first gen C-181 T11s, but they are out there. Black internal coating.

I know Audio123 loves his "Western Electric "421" repro WE6SN7". Awesome and it makes me very curious. I notice, however, that these can be found in *various sizes* on ebay. What’s up with that?

Grant Fidelity is offering a special *limited edition globe version* of 6SN7SE.

There is also the Cossor version of globular 6SN7, with black internal coating.

Also a new "British" version of 6SN7. This is probably designed to appeal to those of us who are lusting after some unobtainium NOS Brimar tubes.

I could continue, but it would be tedious.I’m very interested to hear from those who have used any of these tubes for an extended period and how they are holding up.

Finally, what about reliable sellers on ebay? What happens to the tubes that fail screening? Do they end up on ebay after having been taken out with the trash?
128x128markusthenaimnut
" You’ll find countless forum threads on various sites dating back to early to mid 2000s when good NOS 6SN7s were more readily available, more affordable. And, more recent debates the past ten plus years on various rebranded Chinese, Czhec, and Russian tubes. After trying some unobtanium quads of 6SN7 NOS, a few different re-issues, and some higher end boutique Chinese stuff made for resellers... 

.. The more you’ll read the more confusing it gets..."

Yup.

Mr. decooney - 

Thanks for posting. Nice to see you here...

Yes, I've read through those countless threads and concur with your comments. The challenge I find is that, because of their age, some of those threads have become very large and I find it tiring to read each and every post. And the Chinese tubes seem to have evolved significantly over the last decade and the earlier criticisms are no longer accurate. As some of the comments on this thread show, it appears that some folks are finding some of the new Chinese tubes to be worthy. The purpose of this thread is to provide a place in which those who are interested in this topic can post their experience.
The whole system dependency thing is really really true. I have no dissatisfaction with my current system. But I am curious about the other tubes out there. Seems like it will take several years before I fully explore this. The current pair I'm running - the Russian tubes - were the highest-measuring, most closely matched pair I've ever seen. And they were also the cheapest. Whether they've changed as they've burned in or whether my hearing/perceptions have adapted to their sound I can't say. The system sounds great!

Thanks again - ALL - for sharing your experience on this thread. 

Here's a thought, intended to help others who might read this thread in the future - it might be helpful if we list the equipment and system setup we're running the tubes in -

Here's my summary;
6SN7s are in my Supratek Cortese, into a Quad 909 SS power amp and Quad ESL 2805 speakers. Soundstaging is superb, instrumental tonalities and the human voice are rendered in a realistic, true-to-my-life-experience-and-ears way. Timbres are neither euphonic or thin (excessively trebly). Leading edges and note decay seem spot-on.
It was the combined use of different tubes in each of my separate components that came together recently. Persistence for perfection can be costly with 6SN7s. The final answer was the combination of the right 12AU7 inputs on my amps to go along with the 6SN7s in my preamp.

It’s rare to find, hats off to great engineers with good ears that know how to design, build, and voice truly musical "integrated" amplifiers.
I'm interested in hearing any follow-up impressions from any of the folks who've posted on this thread... Sometimes tubes change over time.

Thanks
The Shugung tube is NOS at this point. Production might happen again; the factory burned in August of 2019 and I heard they are looking for a new facility.

The JJ tube has proven to be a good sub.