6SN7 tube GTA vrs GTB

I would like to know the difference between the designation GTA and GTB.

Thanks
fordmod

Showing 10 responses by rodman99999

(http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html) I'm using the TungSol JAN CTL/6SN7GT bottom getter, round plate(not the mouse-ear) from the 40's as a driver and the Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W tall bottle(avoid the short bottle like the plague) as a phase splitter in my modded Cary SLM-100's. Couldn't be more pleased with the accuracy/dynamics and pure music that results. The less expensive but still excellent sounding alternatives are the Sylvania and Ken-Rad VT-231's(both 40's, bottom getters). That's if you enjoy clean, uncolored, no extra sweetening/warmed up sound. Otherwise the Raytheon, National Union and RCA VT-231 offerings may better suit you. Happy listening!
Keep in mind if looking at the Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W(tall bottle, metal or black base): Some will try to pass off 6SN7WGT, GTB, or GTA's as the same tube. They're not even close in sonics. IE: (http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-1943-Sylvania-6SN7W-VT-231-6SN7-tube_W0QQitemZ320270099754QQihZ011QQcategoryZ73380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) CAVEAT EMPTOR!
(http://home.att.net/~chimeraone/6sn7sound.html) I've personally verified the findings of this site. That's why the TungSol JAN CTL round plates, and Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W(tall bottle) tubes have found a home in my system. None can deliver the music with less harm than they.
Hello Mr J- I've never listened to Pope Hollands, so I can't offer anything in the way of a comparison. Do you enjoy a very uncolored, alive presentation or something more euphonic/tubier? The TungSol, Ken-Rad and Sylvania tubes I mentioned will deliver whatever comes out of your source with a minimum of alteration(very transparent/uncolored). Some listeners enjoy a bit of added sweetness/warmth. If that's your pleasure: The Raytheon, RCA and National Union VT-231 tubes still produced excellent sound staging, imaging, dynamics, etc but with just a touch of added warmth. I suppose, in a system given to strident highs: that might be beneficial. My suggestion would be to try a pair of the Sylvania bottom gettered VT-231s, and if they appeal to your tastes- buy a pair of Tung-Sol round plates. They just have more of everything that's good in the Sylvanias. Where are you located?
That would be a little too far to drive. I'm in Indy! I thought perhaps I'd bring my tube collection over for you to try, before making any purchases. Here's a pair of the correct Sylvania VT231/6SN7GT tubes from a seller I've dealt with and trust very much: (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-6SN7GT-6SN7-VT-231-VT231-matched-NOS-pair_W0QQitemZ120282753596QQihZ002QQcategoryZ64629QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Angie and Steve are in Australia, but get their tubes to you very quickly. If you can get those cheaply enough, and like them: The TungSol roundplates will REALLY make you happy! I'm saving a couple pair for when the TungSols and Sylvania 6SN7W's disappear altogether.
Too bad you can't bring your system(and listening room) with you. Given so many variables- Tubes that sound perfectly natural in my system, could sound much less so in yours. I've a feeling you'll like the Sylvanias and TungSols though, and the VT-231 will be a less expensive foretaste.
The "best" are the 40's TungSol JAN CTL/6SN7GT round plate, bottom getter and Sylvania JAN CHS/6SN7W(tall bottle, metal or plastic base)- hands down(that's IF you like transparency, dynamics, extension on the top and bottom without glare of tubbiness, imaging, microdynamics, depth and width of sound stage). The price that these tubes command reflects the quality of their sound, and the number of persons that appreciate it(very high demand). Of course: Some enjoy a more colored(warmer, sweeter, tubier, etc.) sound, and may prefer other tubes. The 6SN7WGT is a good tube but not nearly "the best"(though probably the best most have tried). The RCA's have a "warmer/fuller" presentation in most equipment.
Hello Mr M: I suppose the value of those tubes would have to be judged by one's love for the sound of music. I thought nothing of spending $1300.00 for a pair of Kimber KS-1130s for the transparency they afforded me(two years ago), and $680.00 on upgrading the power supply of my pre-amp for a bit of added dynamic range(last month). The Tungsols(driver) and Sylvanias(phase splitter) in concert yielded an even greater reward in terms of pure resolution, sound staging(width and depth), dynamics and timbre. To me they are a bargain, as is anything that brings me closer to the music. In a system less modest(more resolving) than my own, I'm certain they would provide even greater rewards. You did manage to restate what I said about not losing much by seeking out the lesser(and lower priced) VT-231, 40's, bottom getter Sylvanias and Ken-Rads both of which I have in reserve in quantity. Regarding the short bottle 6SN7W: In direct comparison to the tall bottle, it was much more strident(highs), thin in in the mid-range and dynamics were lessened. It made vocals sound Hi-Fi rather than live(tinny with no immediacy), and cymbal crashes sounded like breaking glass rather than resounding bronze(Sabians and Zildjians). I imagine on a system that was lacking in definition, they could be considered somewhat of an asset. Thank you for qualifying my earlier posts regarding the colorations of the other still great and well-received NOS tubes of this family. The price that "the best" 6SN7 tubes are commanding shows that there are those out there that feel as I do, and value the music more than the money! I don't see any reason to avoid extolling their virtues. Happy listening!
Having them tested for noise is VERY important/imperative if they are to be used in a pre-amp, mic or phono stage. MUCH less so in power amp circuits.