6922 Tubes!

Hi everyone, There are many old threads about the 6922, I wanted to know what people are using currently that wont break the bank, ( ie...$150 per tube seems a lot). I need to buy 4 new ones for my phono preamp. Should I just order a set of tubes from the manufacturer (Manley Labs) it seems they like to use Electro Harmonics and they are very affordable, so what does a $100 tube do?? because the originals were pretty nice sounding. I just dont want to overspend on tubes for the unit/system im using them in.  Help.

Matt M
128x128mattmiller

Showing 2 responses by lewm

Wiki says that cryo treatment of "metals" occurs at temperatures less than -190 degrees C or -320 degrees F.  N liquifies at -195 C/-320F.  At temps below -210 C/-346 F, LN freezes.

So, it does appear that the benefits of cryo treatment can be achieved at temperatures "around" where N vapor becomes LN.  Nothing on the internet about home refrigerator or freezer temperatures, however.
Geoff, Is your information about the putative benefits of refrigerator and home freezer temperatures based on real world direct experience or on what you have read elsewhere?  Back when I did some reading on the physical effects of cryo treatment, it seems to me the papers I could access state that there is no effect unless you go "all the way".  And I even think liquid nitrogen is not technically cold enough, but I may be wrong on that last bit.