6922 Tubes!

Hi everyone, There are many old threads about the 6922, I wanted to know what people are using currently that wont break the bank, ( ie...$150 per tube seems a lot). I need to buy 4 new ones for my phono preamp. Should I just order a set of tubes from the manufacturer (Manley Labs) it seems they like to use Electro Harmonics and they are very affordable, so what does a $100 tube do?? because the originals were pretty nice sounding. I just dont want to overspend on tubes for the unit/system im using them in.  Help.

Matt M
128x128mattmiller

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

I have a MAGI Phonomenal preamp; it's all handwired PTP and uses four 6DJ8 types; one pair for input buffering (I think) and the other for gain and output. The topology is evidently similar to the Manley steelhead, but without as many front panel configurations, and not nearly as expensive. 

I got it used with a pair of 6922 and a pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s. It was a bit noisy and I went on a quest to quiet it down. I got a second set of 6922s. It didn't really lower noise significantly while idling, but when the music came on the noise was unnoticeable and the music was very nice.

Then, to see if I could lower the noise I got a pair of NOS 7308s off eBay for around $25 each. I tried them in various positions, but didn't notice any real difference, but they were at least as good as the ones they replaced. 

Finally, since Marc Voigt, designer of the MAGI Phonomenal, recommends 6N1P tubes (an ultra-low noise 6922-type) for this setup, I researched and concluded that the sweet spot is the Voskhod NOS Soviet Military surplus 6N1P with the rocket logo, made in the '80s. A USA dealer will want around $16 each. I got four of them from a Russian dealer on eBay for $21.95 shipped. I got them this past June and they have occupied all four sockets ever since. Dead quiet, musical, *excellent* dynamic range. 

So before you pay hundreds for some NOS tubes, check w/Manley that 6N1Ps will be OK, and then order some Voskhod Rocket Logo military surplus 6N1Ps. Although I bought them through eBay, the sale and shipping was facilitated by Tubes-Store.com. Their prices may be even better now. Prices are so low that even if the shipping cost as much as the tubes, it's easily worth it.
Strateahed:
In my system, while the Russian rocket logo 6N1P’s were indeed very quiet, they’re a bit sterile for my tastes. I think I have a quad of those in my accessory drawer somewhere.

Well, yeah. I can see your point, but it can also be related to system matching. Not long after I got my 6N1Ps, I put in a Denon DL-160 I had lying around, and it suddenly sounded engaging and dynamic. Then I got a Shelter 201, and it wowed me with its transparent and fulsome midrange, and strong but not overwhelming bass. Now I’m using an AT150 with Shibata tip mounted to a cherry wood headshell, and the combination is marvelous. The 6N1Ps may sound a little sterile with your current setup, but maybe if you warm things up a little elsewhere (wood headshell, warmer mat, etc.) it may help you appreciate the lower noise floor and broader dynamic range that the 6N1Ps bring to the party.