6922 tube rolling recommendations

I've been tube rolling tubes in my Bel Canto SEP-1 preamp.
I've gone from Sovteks to Jan NOS to Mullard(1970's version I think....$35/ea from Triode Elec) The Mullards sound much better...quieter background, better top end extension...it's really sparked my curiosity about trying other NOS tubes. I see VTS selling various Telefunken, Siemens, Amperex, and other older Mullards. Can anyone recommend a good step up from my current Mullard gold pins?
highdecibel

Showing 4 responses by longplate

High db, stick with the Amperex and Siemens. When it came to the 6DJ8 family they were in a league of their own. As usual with NOS tubes, older is better. How many tubes does your unit use? Hopefully not more then two. Prices for primo tubes in this family are rising even as I write. If you plan on keeping your pre for a while, load up. But there are still some bargins to be had. Amperex 6DJ8s are a great sounding tube, finding even some good used ones should be easy. But if you want the best look for the 7308s. They were the quietest and longest lasting. Maybe the best sounding is the Siemens CCa,an upgraded 6922. Very rare and expensive.Did VTS have all the tubes you mentioned in stock? What his webpage says and what he actually has are two different things.I believe there are tubes I've mentioned for sale here at Audiogon...pricey though. If you want to email me I can steer you in a less costly direction.
I agree Joe's tube lore is an interesting read. But bear in mind this is coming from a guy who thinks all 12AU7s and 12AX7s suck. He then goes on to sing the praises of the 5751 tube. The 5751 is a good tube...in the right application. It is NOT a drop in replacement for a 12AX7! Fact is, if you do use a 5751 instead of a X7, you run the risk of doing damage to your gear. I know Mike Sanders of Quicksilver says don't even think about itwith his gear. Granted in the majority of equipment you'll be fine. But myself and many other's will tell you we've never heard a 5751 sound better then a good 12AX7 where a 12AX7 was called for.I know a lot of CAL DAC users like the 5751, I use it on occasion when watching movies on my LD-DVD player. I think the reason people prefer a 5751 is because it will often give your gear a very hi-fi sound. But it is not very musical, and with the 30% loss of gain when using the 5751, dynamics and bass suffer. Always consult the manufacture before switching to see if it's kosher. I realize I got off topic here, but that's the way the pickle squirts. Concerning the 6922 post, others are correct when they say it is all system dependent. Just about any of these tubes made by Amperex and Siemens is going to sound good. Mullard, despite their ties to Amperex is more hit and miss, although the 10M and the A frame tubes are outstanding. With apologies to Rayhall, most of the Telefunkens won't feed the bulldog. Telefunkens are well built and last forever but they are way overated sound wise. Save for the 803s, which is a high spec 12AX7, I've never heard a Tele I thought sounded good...and I am not alone. But in certain systems it might be the best choice, as Rayhall clearly points out. And because of the Telefunken "mystique" they are selling for ungodly high prices. I believe someone here ay A-gon is selling a pair of Tele CCa for $350.00! Man, How does that cat dig himself? It seems to me a while back I saw a pair of Siemens CCa sell for $200.00 pr., no bargin, but more in line with the market. As I was telling Hi-db yesterday, load up on these tubes if you use them. Prices have more then doubled in the last year, and with supplies dwindling the future might be a lot of people forced to use Puketeks.
Thrillhammer, I'm not sure what it is, but you got my vote for coolest name. Feel free to email me.
If Selling the same tubes that everybody has for a third of the price they and your buddy Andy sell them for...I'm guilty. I won't bother to share my dealings with your "tube guru" in public. The way you blow his horn, I wouldn't be surprized if you get a cut. Long before this thread members of the group were emailing me without any prompting. What I make on tubes is so little, some ask why I bother.I spend a couple hours a day returning peoples email.Unlike everyone else, I'm not in this for the money.I simply enjoy helping people out. And if the group finds that wrong, I'll stop .