6922 Replacements for BAT VK-300x

I purchased a pre-owned VK-300x integrated, and one of the 6922's is microphonic. I replaced both tubes with a spare set of Sovtek's that I had laying around. I'd like to put something a bit more refined in their place. Has any BAT integrated and/or preamp owner here experimented with anything else that they would recommend? My preference is to lean towards warmth over an analytical sound.

I've tried to call Andy at VTS, but I'm not sure he's still selling tubes based on a couple threads I've seen here. I've purchased from Kevin at Upscale, but his "didn't buy gear here" prices are quite high. Anyone here purchased from Tube Depot with success?

Thanks,
Chris
128x128hedgehog

Showing 8 responses by hedgehog

I checked out the site, thanks. It's a very informative website. I'll have to get in touch with him after the Holidays!
I figured I'd end up with a Mullard or Amperex, but didn't know if anyone had tried one of the newer production tubes with success. The Sovtek's are OK, but strictly OK.

Outside of Andy and Upscale, I haven't purchased tubes anywhere else. I guess I'll have to do some looking around while I keep trying to reach Andy.
Jeff,

I think you and I did a transaction about a million years ago. Do you live in Virginia? Do you have Jim McShane's contact information?

Chris
The tube/s in question are current production Sovtek, not NOS. I'm not an expert by any means...maybe microphonic is an incorrect term. When the input was changed from one to another, a "ting" or "ping" sound was heard. The replacement pair of Sovtek tubes does not do so. I'm sure someone with much more expertise than I possess would know whether that is microphony, a short, whatever.

Regardless, I need to replace the tube/s. The spare set is going into a Cary amp I'm going to be selling.
Thank you, so much, to all the respondents. I did check out the Brent Jesse site, and I may place an order soon.

I've been in touch with a couple of vendors, and it looks like a good short-term replacement is going to be the 6N23...Mang53's suggestion was repeated by Jim McShane.

I also picked up a pair of Mullard 6922's from a fellow member. I'll be leaving the cover off of the BAT for a while during my experimentation.

Chris
Luke, are there any compatibility issues in the BAT? I don't want to end up frying something...
Eventually, I'll get around to touching base with BAT to get their feedback on the 85 for 88 exchange.