6922 Replacements for BAT VK-300x

I purchased a pre-owned VK-300x integrated, and one of the 6922's is microphonic. I replaced both tubes with a spare set of Sovtek's that I had laying around. I'd like to put something a bit more refined in their place. Has any BAT integrated and/or preamp owner here experimented with anything else that they would recommend? My preference is to lean towards warmth over an analytical sound.

I've tried to call Andy at VTS, but I'm not sure he's still selling tubes based on a couple threads I've seen here. I've purchased from Kevin at Upscale, but his "didn't buy gear here" prices are quite high. Anyone here purchased from Tube Depot with success?

Thanks,
Chris
128x128hedgehog

Showing 4 responses by audiojoy4

You will be amazed by using ECC85 in place of the ECC88/6922. I have done this in every piece of equipment I have ever had with these awful 6922 tubes that always sound tonally lean. The ECC85 brings life colour and presence to the music. I have so far dumped the internal ecc88/6922 tubes in the following amps and used ECC85's Audionote DAc 2.1 balanced, Audionote M5, Musical fidelity X10D,etc etc. An expensive mullard ECC88 will be easily improved upon by the cheapest ECC85 everytime. So you can imagine that the Mullard ECC85 is the ultimate.
the best replacement is any make of ECC85 i have replaced my ecc88/6922 in my audio note equipment and mf x10d with dramatic results.
Chris I am confident that an ECC85 of the cheapest make will always beat a Mullard 6922, you will get that natural tonality much more with the ECC85.

Luke
Good point, but i have directly exchanged the 85 for the 88 in numerous products, and there has never been any issues. But you are right to be careful.