6550 tubes

Hello,Out there.Has anyone found decent 6550 tube,I have tried several,Like Gold Lion KT88,Tung-Sol 6550 EH6550 Russian knock off, all of which failed within one month or DOA out of the box.
Fact is the only 6550 I found that did work for more than a month was Valve Art 6550 but has filament noise issues.
Any info would help.
128x128350b

Showing 2 responses by bifwynne

Sorry -- typo corrected in brackets: "Agree 100% with Jea48, especially re Upscale Audio. I've heard that the Russian factory that made Svetlana [6550] Winged "C" tubes burned down, but Upscale Audio] has a supply on hand."
Agree 100% with Jea48, especially re Upscale Audio. I've heard that the Russian factory that made Svetlana Winged "C" tubes burned down, but Audio Research has a supply on hand.

As Jea48 just said, Upscale Audio burns tubes in for 72 hours and does a very good job of matching, which is very important in push/pull type amps.

Don't know the amp you are using but check out Tung Sol KT-120s. ARC dropped in KT-120s as a replacement for 6550 Winged C tubes several years ago. But be careful. Not all amps can handle the extra power draw demanded by the KT-120s.

Regards,

Bruce