$6000 budget question

Im not in the market for speakers, but wonder what $6000 would buy these days. My priorities are full range and neutral to warm. No mini monitors for me. I like a good soundstage but am not obsessed by it. I rarely get imaging beyond my speakers, and I think it's highly dependent on the recording, if the lights are on, if I'm wearing my glasses and if I've had some wine/bourbon/scotch

My dislikes are hyper detail at the expense of tonality. I've heard too many highly regarded speakers that were all detail.

I happen to like my Revel F30's quite a bit but after 14 years of wining them, I'm curious.

Suggestions?
128x128zavato

Showing 1 response by denman

Zav,I to am in the same situation as you(same sonic preferences /budget).I have for the past month been traveling to evaluate various speakers as a possible replacement for my Vandy 3A sigs.Here's what I've heard and my impressions.Pmc Eb1i(heard them twice,once were awesome ,second time shocked no bass maybe they were damaged).Newer Vandies with carbon tweeters (heard Quattro,Treo's,5's,7's.Much more detailed than mine but maybe too much so).Dynaudio Contour S5.4(very upfront detailed not bright though,not super low bass alot of boxiness in bass).Dynaudio Sapphire(beautiful appearence,smoother less forward than the S5.4 better bass too but still had a degree of bass boxiness).Some Audio Physic model which I didn't care for at all.Acoustic Zen Adagio( very nice smooth top and mids super imager limited bass extension.Wanted to hear the Crescendo not in stock this maybe my answer. JBL s3900,S4700(3900 had better/ lower bass than the 15" s4700,but was more upfront and rougher in the treble/ mids compared to the smoother S4700.Both lacked tradition horn colorations) Last model heard Tannoy Kensington.(wow very special.Smooth very coherent dual concentric design with excellent low bass extension.A quality piece of furniture as well.I liked these alot).My advice listen to as much as possible.Oh almost forgot,Heard Gershman Sonograms,Avant Guardes's.I liked these as well.(very smooth with excellent bass,reasonable prices and nice appearence).That's it for now,but I'm still out looking and listening.Best of luck to you in your search.