$600 +/- Bookshelfs w/ Holographic Soundstage

Hello all,

Thank you all for your time & dedication to Audio :-)
This site has been a wonderful find for me (and a constant source of amusement for my wife watching me! LOL!)

I have been reading a bunch of the articles - trying not to clog up the forum with yet another speaker advice column - but have learned that it is the specifics of each individual situation that makes this such an exciting topic. So ...

I am looking to upgrade my bookshelf speakers - and would love input on my situation:

Right now I have a pair of B&W DM.601 s1 - that I am enjoying, but I feel their holographic soundstage is a bit limited.

This is my #1 priority - I love 'seeing' the music. My pinnacle moment came when listening to Rimsky-Korsakov, Sherezade on Primare driven ProAc Response D28s - when, with my eyes closed, I could tell you exactly where each member of the orchestra was sitting! That was when all of this began!!

Budget is self set at $600 +/-
Used / New all-ok
I'm partial to bookshelfs due to the size of my room (12'x10') in an NYC Apartment.

My current system:
Rotel RX-1052 Receiver (my upgrade dream right now is the Primare I30)
Rotel RCD-1072 CD
Technics SL-1200MK2 (w/ Shure M97xE)
B&W DM.601 S1 on Stands
Decent Wiring (Monster M850 Interconnects, Kimber Kwik 12 Speaker, I'm working on power cabling next)

What I've listened to in the last 48 Hours:
Art Farmer - Modern Art - CD
David Byrne - Grown Backwards - CD
Pink Floyd (bootlegs circa 1968-1974) - FLAC burned to CD
Thin Lizzy - In Sunshine or Shadow - LP
Radiohead - OK Computer - Audiophile LP
Miucha & Antonio Carlos Jobim - LP
Jorge Ben - BEN - LP Digitized to CD
Amadou & Mariam - Dimache & Bamako - CD
Pepe & Cheich - CD
Franz Liszt - A Faust Symphony - CD
Schuman - Frauenliebe und Leben - CD
Bach - Sonatas & Partitas - CD

Ok - I think this is probably more then enough info!

Thank you all so much & Happy Holidays
Ethan
128x128septemous

Showing 2 responses by soix

I think you're on the right track. Sure you can put better electronics in front of them and the B&Ws will probably throw a better image than they do currently, but they will never image as well as the Proacs you heard.

I had a similar watershed moment in terms of holographic imaging when I heard Thiels driven by a Pass Aleph 3 and Bryston preamp over 10 years ago. I have found time/phase coherent speakers excel in this regard, including Thiel, Vandersteen, Green Mountain Audio, etc. But there are many others that do very well in this area as well such as Joseph Audio, Silverline, Totem, and Audio Physics among others.

In your price range new I'd look at the Silverline Minuets, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1, and the Epos M5. If you go used it opens up virtually all the manufacturers listed above and more. I'd bet any of them installed in your current system would improve sonic holography a good bit and will blow the B&Ws out of the water with better electronics as funds allow.

An important point is that even speakers that have the ability to cast a believable 3D image will be limited if not given the necessary space to breathe. You've probably already addressed this, but unless you pull the speakers at least a few feet out from the back wall (and preferably more) the imaging won't physically appear as convincingly. Many cables/interconnects (especially interconnects) will also limit the holographic imaging ability, and I would doubt the Monsters are doing you any favors in this regard. I've found Stereovox interconnects do very well with sorting out a believably dimensional image as I'm sure some of the others mentioned do too.

Hope this at least gave you some ideas, and best of luck.
Nice metaphor, but I think it leaves out a crucial part. The size of the window is obviously important, but for holographic imaging I think it's probably even more important to have a clear window. What good is a beautiful park if you can't see it clearly? In the end I think need both if you want that "reach out and touch it" imaging.