$5000 universal player ... am I a fool ?

So now ... recently my old reference source player finally died and I needed to upgrade to keep up with the times, and I'm not sure if I played the part of a fool or no.
Redbook CD is of the utmost importance to me, even though it is done in the context of my home theater system, Egads ! So I went on the search to find a DVD player that would hold it's own against about any CD player in the $5000 range on down. I'm fairly sure I found that in the Lexicon RT-20 I purchased used off these forums. SQ is as good as any CDP I have owned up to about $7000.
Here is my dilema though : Blu Ray seems to be the future, and this "universal" player does not play Blu Ray.
I've read EVERY long post on these forums about Blu Ray playing 2ch audio, but there seems to be absolutely ZERO concensus about this subject.
So simply put, are there ANY Blu Ray players that MAY equal my RT-20 from it's analogue outputs ? Anyone heard a good comparison, or are we still just guessing ?
timtim

Showing 2 responses by jylee

SQ is as good as any CDP I have owned up to about $7000.
Can you list some of those CDPs and some comparison of SQ?
So you have B&K AVR and used to own Theta Pro Gen 3a. I still don't get what "CDP I have owned up to about $7000" that Lexicon betters. I'm glad to hear you like your new DVD player, but let's keep it in the perspective. Don't get me wrong. I'm also very interested in getting a RT-20 as my last universal player. But I want to hear about more relevant comparison with real world CDPs, not some phantom $5000 player that you have never heard.