$5000 or under speaker secommendations?

I'm thinking about getting a second, used pair of either bookshelf or full range/floorstanding speakers for my system (currently I have the Avalon Radiants and love them).

Not wanting to spend my child's college tuition on this second pair, I want the best money can get for a pair that would typically list around $3,500-5,000 new. I'm considering the Martin-Logan Aerons or Ascents, Opera Callas, Thiel CS 3.5, and Sonus Faber Electa models, but am wide open to other recommendations.

Anyone care to share their opinions, preferences, favorite picks?

Thanks!
output555

Showing 2 responses by amperidian

Revelation Audio Mistral S6 with sub6, one of the best combinations out there for under $5000, made my prior watt/puppies 7.1 sound lacking in musicality and easily just as open ... I love that revelator tweeter coupled with a morel midrange driver plus you don't have to worry about bass they offer it in spades if needed (2 isobaric subs with 4 subs/tower powered by their own 150wpc amp with adjustable crossover, gain and phase) try to audition them if you can or go to the Montreal show if that's a possibility, they're usually there ... my desire for the Dynaudio Evidence Temptations stopped after these realtively inexpensive speakers.
Martin Logan are very good, I use them exclusively in the HT system but they do need very musical gear to sound pleasant, otherwise they are VEEERY revealing ... beware here! ... however you can never forget their sound if you like it.