$5,000 to spend for analog front end - advice please...:)

Long-time audiophile who has not touched analog for ~15 years... thinking of getting back in.

Reading about current choices in analog gear makes my eyes glaze over... info overload...

Last rig circa 2000 was Ariston RD11/Black Widow/Grace F9E into CJ pre/ARC power and Maggies. Remember that table was quite touchy... but had moments of brilliance. Remember VTA was super important, but was hard to get right. Also remember edge warping on some records was a major PITA.

Now have Modwright/Sony tube CDP to CJ ET5 to ARC VT50 to ProAc D30R/Rel sub for lowest octave support -- a good, reasonable, high res system without going overboard. Jazz and vocals listener, discerning ear for detail, body and PRAT, don’t like to tweak too much, just want to re-enjoy my LP collection which has been dormant/stored for years in addition to my CD’s.

Thinking roughly $5,000 would be a good number to throw at a fresh analog front end. That would need to include the phono stage as my CJ is a line stage...

VPI, SOTA, ClearAudio, Rega, Project... not sure where to turn, plus new names like Lehmann, Shelter, Soundsmith. Would prefer a relatively turn key system -- can handle follow-the-instructions set-up just fine but don’t want to get into endless fussing. Don’t want to do another Linn/Ariston. Something easier and more consistent.

Don’t think $5K will get me into a real low output MC rig given cost of proper amplification, even with solid state head amp. Also seeing the very cool Thorens retro-updates by Vinyl Nirvana... can those really perform like the modern stuff?

Reading no-brainers tables are VPI Scout or bundled Project tables... not sure about arms and cartridges. Prefer a classic TT look, no thanks to Michell Gyrodecks or giant air pumps or huge acrylic monstrosities... :)

New/demo or used from A-gon? Used VPI Classic or Aries?

Thoughts appreciated from those who are current and in the know. Thanks.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjjss49
Thanks all for the thoughts thus far... some comments bring back lovely memories... my earlier tables during college/early career days were a Micro Seiki DD40/MA505 and a Kenwood concrete KD500!!

Not pulling trigger yet, but leaning towards a used VPI with 10 in arm, or a SOTA with the same. Or a George Warren.... (nooooo!!!)  Definitely seems like for a very good table/cartridge/head amp $5K may be tough buying all new. Also saw a listing for used Benz Micro PP1... heart goes pitter patter LOL...

Seriously, am thinking going used might be more cost efficient if/when I trade up if the vinyl bug bites hard again. Saw a used Michael Yee Musical Surroundings Nova ss battery powered head amp... maybe that can hold the fort at the start...
I still own a VPI- Aries-1 with the JMW-10 arm and a Benz MC cartridge.
I would guess the 10.5i arm is quite a bit better as goheelz recommended (above).  The equivalent current choice to consider would be the new Prime turntable (3500)
if that meets your requirements.  As for a speed-controller, I am not the one to ask since i have the SDS and can't hear the "big difference".
I also have the Lukaschek phono stage (about a thousand give or take)
which is a classic match to Benz MC's.  Anyway, what i have- even if it's "old news" -sounds very good.  Unless you're buying the high-end vinyl currently on the market, I tend to think "ordinary" records are not worth
a turntable setup that costs much more than $5K.  I have 20-30 audiophile-quality records but the rest are cut-outs, fire-sales, used, etc.
If you get a vacuum-type cleaner, that can make a significant difference
when you sit back to listen. But i do agree that fussing over minute adjustments and an endless number of "highly recommended" tweaks
is (perhaps) not your style- mine neither.  
        Before i get slammed for being so naive about "really good analog"
being so amazingly great, etc. - a friend made a CDR for me of some
guy's very-expensive analog rig playing premium vinyl (jazz records),
and it was good but not, you know, fantastic, amazing, etc.
We were both somewhat surprised- not a lot of folks around anymore
with a 5-figure turntable system- but it fell in line with my general opinion.  I still have an open mind on the subject, but until someone
can effectively demonstrate a super-high-end rig for me, that's all i can say on the subject-for now. 
Leaning towards a SOTA with vacuum. Hope it can cure the common edge warping issues I recall (quite unpleasantly LOL)... anyone with experience with these higher end SOTA tables with their vacuum system? Does it really take out most edge warps for a smooth ride for the needle?
I just bought a Technics SL1200GAE and it sounds much better than my VPI Scout 1.1 but it doesn't leave much $ for a phono stage and cart.