48K, 96K or 192K

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject...

I just bought an upconverting DVD player which will also play dvd-a discs. There is an option to set the SPDIF to either "Raw" or "PCM" (default is raw). The output frequency of the LPCM audio data can be set to 48K, 96K or 192K.

The front two channels of this device will be fed into a digital amplifier feeding a pair of NHT Xds. The remaining channels go into a B&K AVR305 av receiver.

What does all of this mean, and how should I set this puppy up?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
jwilt
Kal said "Of course. As I said above, "Raw" will pass DD/DTS and "PCM" will not."

Well, you are indeed correct!
Jwilt: "I played around with it a bit. When I set the player's SPDIF (whatever the heck that is) to "PCM", I didn't seem to get any surround information, just the fronts. When I switched it to "Raw", the surround info was there."
Of course. As I said above, "Raw" will pass DD/DTS and "PCM" will not.

Kal
I played around with it a bit. When I set the player's SPDIF (whatever the heck that is) to "PCM", I didn't seem to get any surround information, just the fronts. When I switched it to "Raw", the surround info was there. I was also able to adjust the LPCM separately, and I set it to 192. I have not had an opportunity to really put it through its paces, partly because I don't have a lot of source material with which to do it. I will be looking for that Fagen disc. I also heard there was a good Eagles disc, a Clapton and a Blue Man Group disc that I should probably get my hands on. Any suggestions regarding other material that will show off either (or both) the video and DVDA ability of the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
Post removed 
I played around with it a bit. When I set the player's SPDIF (whatever the heck that is) to "PCM", I didn't seem to get any surround information, just the fronts. When I switched it to "Raw", the surround info was there. I was also able to adjust the LPCM separately, and I set it to 192. I have not had an opportunity to really put it through its paces, partly because I don't have a lot of source material with which to do it. I will be looking for that Fagen disc. I also heard there was a good Eagles disc, a Clapton and a Blue Man Group disc that I should probably get my hands on. Any suggestions regarding other material that will show off either (or both) the video and DVDA ability of the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
Thanks for the link. As I said, using the 5.1 DVD-A inputs, which are analog, the sampling rate is irrelevant.

Kal
Post removed 
Tvad: "OK, I'm bored and determined to help, so I looked through the B&K AVR305 manual which mentions accepting DVD-A up to 24/192 through the 5.1 analog inputs, so I'd say set the player to 24/192 as Kal suggested."

Good idea but makes no sense. If the B&K's input is analog, the sampling rate is irrelevant. Something's still not clear here.

Kal
Thanks! God knows where my B&K manual is...

I just spent the last few days programming a universal remote (MX-700) and my brain hurts!
Post removed 
The machine was bought primarily for its ability to take a 480i video signal and get it up to 1080i for my TV. I was originally going to use a separate CD player for serious listening, but in the course of setting everything up, space constraints sort of dictated that I use the player for two channel as well, which eliminated a CD player and a DAC - I may at some point upgrade and reintroduce the separate machine at a later date...

The audio end of this equation is the confusing one for me - I am WAY behind on the learning curve regarding 48/96/192. I'm still not sure we have reached a consensus here - after rereading the posts, it sounds like I should set the thing to 192 and see what happens?

Jim
Thanks for the responses, guys. Of course, I didn't mean the front two channels went straight into the Xda. I have an odd setup. For serious listening, I use the analogue outs (stereo "mixed" on the player) that go into a Pass Labs X1 preamp, which feeds into the Xda. For DVD, video goes to the TV via a DVI output, and the audio is passed via a toslink cable to the B&K DVD input. For DVDA, I am taking the 5.1 out of the back of the player and into the DVDA input on the B&K, which I assume is analogue as these are RCA connectors. The front two channels of everything put out by the B&K passes through a bypass input on the Pass Labs unit so that when in DVD or DVDA mode, the B&K controls volume rather than the Pass.

It sounds like I need to find out what the B&K procesor is the happiest with, and then set the output on the DVD player to match, right?

Thanks.

Jim
Post removed 
Well, the reason for limiting the output bandwidth is to account for whether or not the device receiving the output can handle it. If you send a 24/192 signal to a DAC or receiver which can only handle 24/48, the extra bits would be truncated producing a nasty sound.

Yes, he did mention that it is an upconverting player but I took his questions all to do with the digital output. Since we do not know exactly which player it is, I cannot be certain but I suspect the upconverting is available from the analog outputs and pertains, primarily, to CD sources.

Kal
Post removed 
Tvad wrote: "Perhaps the setting needs to be made on a disc-to-disc basis? My Donald Fagen disc specifically mentions 48khz/24bit. I don't own any other DVD-A discs to compare.
I personally prefer to not upsample."
Who said anything about upsampling? Setting the permissible bandwidth of the digital output is something different from setting upsampling options. If you open the window to 24/192, 24/48 and 24/96 will pass equally well.

Kal
Tvad...Right on about DVDA! For years I have argued that it is as good or better than SACD, but for some reason most of those audiophiles who will accept high resolution have been snowed by Sony propaganda about DSD.

All my DVDA are 96KHz, although the protocol does allow for 192KHz.
Post removed 
DVD is up to 24/48. DVD-A can be anything up to 24/192, at least in 2 channels, and up to 24/96 in 5.1. So, set the output for 192kHz in order not to down-sample and mangle the best discs.

Kal
Post removed 
First, I do not think you can feed the front L/R directly to the xDs amp since you would not have a volume control for those channels.

Second, if you are using only the analog outs, the settings for S/PDIF (the digital output) are irrelevant.

Third, the best arrangement is to set the S/PDIF output to RAW (that will permit transmission of DD and DTS in addition to PCM output) and connect the digital output to the B&K digital input. Then, connect the front L/R preamp outputs of the B&K to the xDs.

Fourth, an alternative may be possible which is to connect the 6 analog outputs of the player to the B&K.

Kal