48K, 96K or 192K

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject...

I just bought an upconverting DVD player which will also play dvd-a discs. There is an option to set the SPDIF to either "Raw" or "PCM" (default is raw). The output frequency of the LPCM audio data can be set to 48K, 96K or 192K.

The front two channels of this device will be fed into a digital amplifier feeding a pair of NHT Xds. The remaining channels go into a B&K AVR305 av receiver.

What does all of this mean, and how should I set this puppy up?

Thanks in advance.

Jim
jwilt

Showing 6 responses by jwilt

Thanks for the responses, guys. Of course, I didn't mean the front two channels went straight into the Xda. I have an odd setup. For serious listening, I use the analogue outs (stereo "mixed" on the player) that go into a Pass Labs X1 preamp, which feeds into the Xda. For DVD, video goes to the TV via a DVI output, and the audio is passed via a toslink cable to the B&K DVD input. For DVDA, I am taking the 5.1 out of the back of the player and into the DVDA input on the B&K, which I assume is analogue as these are RCA connectors. The front two channels of everything put out by the B&K passes through a bypass input on the Pass Labs unit so that when in DVD or DVDA mode, the B&K controls volume rather than the Pass.

It sounds like I need to find out what the B&K procesor is the happiest with, and then set the output on the DVD player to match, right?

Thanks.

Jim
The machine was bought primarily for its ability to take a 480i video signal and get it up to 1080i for my TV. I was originally going to use a separate CD player for serious listening, but in the course of setting everything up, space constraints sort of dictated that I use the player for two channel as well, which eliminated a CD player and a DAC - I may at some point upgrade and reintroduce the separate machine at a later date...

The audio end of this equation is the confusing one for me - I am WAY behind on the learning curve regarding 48/96/192. I'm still not sure we have reached a consensus here - after rereading the posts, it sounds like I should set the thing to 192 and see what happens?

Jim
Thanks! God knows where my B&K manual is...

I just spent the last few days programming a universal remote (MX-700) and my brain hurts!
I played around with it a bit. When I set the player's SPDIF (whatever the heck that is) to "PCM", I didn't seem to get any surround information, just the fronts. When I switched it to "Raw", the surround info was there. I was also able to adjust the LPCM separately, and I set it to 192. I have not had an opportunity to really put it through its paces, partly because I don't have a lot of source material with which to do it. I will be looking for that Fagen disc. I also heard there was a good Eagles disc, a Clapton and a Blue Man Group disc that I should probably get my hands on. Any suggestions regarding other material that will show off either (or both) the video and DVDA ability of the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
I played around with it a bit. When I set the player's SPDIF (whatever the heck that is) to "PCM", I didn't seem to get any surround information, just the fronts. When I switched it to "Raw", the surround info was there. I was also able to adjust the LPCM separately, and I set it to 192. I have not had an opportunity to really put it through its paces, partly because I don't have a lot of source material with which to do it. I will be looking for that Fagen disc. I also heard there was a good Eagles disc, a Clapton and a Blue Man Group disc that I should probably get my hands on. Any suggestions regarding other material that will show off either (or both) the video and DVDA ability of the system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Jim
Kal said "Of course. As I said above, "Raw" will pass DD/DTS and "PCM" will not."

Well, you are indeed correct!